Social media: Get in touch with Fire Emblem Wiki on ! Or, to join our Skype chat, contact any active admin and ask to be added.
NOTICE: If you borrow any content from Fire Emblem Wiki and reuse it elsewhere, you must credit us as the original source, under the terms of our licence. If you do not do so, we may ask you to remove the relevant content.
Born in Ilia to a human father and an ice dragon mother, Ninian and her brother Nils entered the Dragon's Gate after their mother vanished during the Scouring and their father went missing looking for her. Despite settling in paradise amongst other beings of dragon descent, Ninian always dreamed of returning to Elibe, the land of her birth.
Nergal and his Morph's pursuit of Ninian and her brother are part of what gets Eliwood, Hector, and Lyn involved with Nergal's schemes.
Starting stats and growth rates
- Note: Ninian will only appear with these stats if the player skips Lyn's Story or if Nils dies during Lyn's Story. Otherwise, her stats will match Nils'.
Personality and character
Ninian is a beautiful, shy, and soft-spoken girl. She is polite and considerate, which is especially noticeable in how she addresses Eliwood after his father dies. Ninian does have a weak will and body, she collapsed and suffered amnesia after she tried to escape Nergal a second time.
However, due to her half-dragon heritage, Ninian has difficulty understanding why her allies are so kind toward her, despite her obvious exotic appearance and ability to sense danger. Her kind nature leads her to try to remain a bit distant from others, since she believes herself to be perceived as dangerous by others.
Nils and Ninian
After these dragonkin bid farewell to the land of their birth, they returned to their new world. Meeting Eliwood warmed the hearts of these ice dragons with the hope that man and dragon could live in peace.
Eliwood and Ninian
Eliwood and Ninian were wed after the conflict. Ninian gave up her old life and her people to enjoy a brief life with Eliwood. They have a son named Roy, who will one day take up arms to defend his nation.
Ninian: I’m so sorry, Lord Eliwood… I…cannot…stand much longer…
Eliwood: You needn’t try. I’ll take care of everything. Retreat to a safe place. Can you do that?
Nils: Ninian! Are you well?
Ninian: I’m sorry… I can… stand no longer…
Nils: There’s nothing else we can do here. Come, let us retreat to the rear. We don’t want to become a burden on you.
Eliwood: Nils! How is Ninian?
Nils: I think she’ll be fine with a little rest.
Eliwood: I asked too much of her. It was not right… From now on, the two of you will stay out of combat. Is that understood?
Nils: Yes. I’m sorry.
Etymology and other languages
|Names, etymology and in other regions|
|Language||Name||Definition, etymology and notes|
|English||Ninian||"Ninian" is a masculine name of Scottish, Irish, and Ancient Celtic usage. While the exact meaning is unknown, it appears in a Latinized form "Niniavus", which could be from the Welsh name "Nynniaw". This was the name of a 5th-century British saint who was apparently responsible for many miracles and cures. He is known as the Apostle to the Picts.|
|Japanese||ニニアン||Officially romanised as Ninian.|
- There is an unused portrait of Ninian in Fire Emblem Awakening for SpotPass, implying she was planned to be included at one point.
- Though Ninian does not appear in Fire Emblem Heroes as of the current version, there is a folder in the game's files named "ch03_16_Ninian_F_Normal" ("ch03" being a prefix common to all Fire Emblem characters), implying that she was planned to feature, or is planned to be added in a future update. In the game's initial release version, v1.02, the folder contained Christmas-themed artwork of Robin and Tharja; it is unknown why this artwork was contained in Ninian's folder.
Artwork of Ninian from Fire Emblem
Nils sharing power with Ninian.
Nergal with Ninian under his control.
Ninian, as a dragon, appears before Eliwood.
Nergal gloats over the death of the dragon, who was actually Ninian.
Eliwood holding Ninian's corpse.
A certain man and two children.
Eliwood carries Ninian after the battle.
- "Ninian: Ahh…Dame Florina…
Florina: You know… You really don’t have to call me that. You can just call me Florina." - Ninian and Florina, Fire Emblem
- "Eliwood: My mother, too, loves dancing, you know. She would be pleased. At festival time, she dances all night like a young maiden. My father always clucked his tongue and shook his head, but each year, he would dance with her until the dawn. Ah–
Ninian: … …
Eliwood: Forgive me. You… must think of my father often enough.
Ninian: No… it’s all right. I mean, not compared to you, Lord Eliwood…" - Ninian and Eliwood in their support conversation, Fire Emblem
- "Ninian: Lady Lyn… Lady Lyn, you did nothing wrong…… When Nils fell overboard, I didn’t know what to do. …I became lost within myself. If only I’d been stronger… ……All of this could have been avoided… I am…truly…sorry.
Nils: …Ninian’s power is greater than mine, but it costs her physical and emotional strength. ……Nergal exploited that…weakness…" - Ninian and Nils, Fire Emblem
- "Doesn’t everyone think that dragons are terrifying, man-eating beasts? I mean, how could two different species ever get along?" - Ninan to Florina, Fire Emblem
|This article is part of Project Characters, a project focused in writing articles for every character present in the Fire Emblem series.|