|“||When I look back on my performing days, I know that any hardship in my road shall be like ashes at the fire's end! Yet till Crimea sees its freedom come, I shall pass myself as the simple fool!||”|
— Bastian, to Makalov
Bastian (Japanese: ユリシーズ Ulysses) is a Crimean mage and noblemen, bearing the title of Count of Fayre. Formerly a vassal in the service of the former Crown Prince Renning, he entered the service of Princess—later Queen—Elincia during the Mad King's War. Following the war, he disappeared and worked with Volke to track down Izuka and find a means of curing the Feral One condition afflicting Renning; during this time, he hired Ike and the Greil Mercenaries to support Elincia at the climax of Ludveck's rebellion.
Following Crimea's defeat in the Mad King's War, Bastian took refuge in Castle Delbray with Lucia and Geoffrey and performed covert operations across Crimea to gather surviving royal retainers; during these, Bastian disguised himself as a street performer. Near the war's end, he and Geoffrey set about preparing for Elincia's imminent return to Delbray, but were interrupted by an attack on the castle by Daein soldiers. Bastian fled the castle to warn Elincia while Geoffrey remained behind as a decoy, and participated in the remainder of the war following. Following the defeat of Bertram, Bastian identified him as Renning and had him taken away to his castle, in the hope of curing his feral condition.
Starting stats and growth rates
Bastian is the last playable sage in the game. He has respectable bases in magic, skill, and resistance. His base speed is low for lategame, so he will not double frequently, limiting his magic offense. His base defense is higher than most mages, but he is still fragile and does not have high avoid. He has respectable weapon levels, able to use all three anima siege tomes without investment and Tornado. His base strength is high for a magic user, able to wield all anima tomes without speed loss besides Bolting and Rexbolt (though, given he does not double reliably, this primarily affects his avoid). With his respectable strength, he has the highest attack power out of the sages with knives, though this is a gimmick at best.
Bastian has excellent offensive growths in magic, skill, and speed. His long-term magic and skill will ensure he can hit hard and reliably at 1-2 range. His speed base and high base level limits his high speed growth, so he will likely continue to struggle to double attack.
Bastian has the Corrosion skill which is usually useless, since it does not deplete an enemy's weapon enough to matter. If the player wants to steal a weapon, this can actually be a detrimental skill, so the player may want to consider removing it. Bastian has a respectable skill base and growth, so Adept helps fix his doubling issues. He can be a decent candidate for the endgame Occult to learn Flare due to his late join time, though this is only practical if no other better options are available by endgame.
Bastian has a wind affinity which gives a light accuracy and avoid boost. This complements Volke for a double wind affinity, though Volke serves a different kind of role and has higher move. Makalov has a thunder affinity which complements the wind affinity, giving more avoid and a bit of defense, though this mostly benefits Makalov as a paladin; he also has other better options. Lucia is Bastian's best support option, having the same availability, similar movement, and giving much avoid with her earth affinity, benefiting both units due to their low durability.
Following the ascension of Pelleas to the Daein throne, Bastian was sent by Elincia as an envoy to the newly-reconstructed nation, during which he also investigated the whereabouts of the Black Knight, and so was not present during Ludveck's insurrection. However, he was aware of Ludveck's motivations prior to his departure, and so located and commissioned the Greil Mercenaries to assist Elincia, tasking them to remain hidden until the last moment.
Following the Daein mission, he remained away from Crimea and, with Volke in his employ, pursued Izuka in the hope of curing Renning of his affliction by the Feral One drug; he was again not present to assist in the war with Begnion, although he returned to Crimea to recruit Geoffrey into assisting him with Renning. He, Volke and Geoffrey finally re-emerged and rejoined Elincia in the Hawk Army, following Ashera's judgement, but were interrupted by Izuka's escape from their custody. After dealing with Izuka, he explained the nature of his mission and absence—to cure Renning—and had Reyson use the Galdr of Rebirth to heal him. 
Starting stats and growth rates
- Note: The above stats are Bastian's default stats. If a Radiant Dawn game was started via a data transfer from Path of Radiance, any stat Bastian capped in Path of Radiance will result in a boost to his base in the stat in question in Radiant Dawn.
Bastian is a pre-promoted wind-using Archsage that joins in the last chapter before endgame. He has respectable base magic for endgame, able to do solid magic damage or healing. He has an SS wind rank and B staves, allowing him to use Rexcalibur and use all healing staves besides Fortify, Matrona, and the Ashera Staff. His base speed is extremely low for his join time, and he will frequently get double attacked by enemy units. He has a mediocre base defense so he is frail, but his base resistance is high which helps for endgame. Bastian's growths are overall average at best, with only a high growth in skill and resistance. Given his join time and bases and growths, Bastian functions as a serviceable filler wind sage with healing utility that requires no investment but will often be much weaker than other trained sages. In Path of Radiance without stat boosters, Bastian can only cap strength, which is marginally useful for handling heavier tomes but he otherwise does not benefit much from transfer bonuses.
Bastian has the Corrosion skill which is mostly wasted due to joining so late and many endgame units not having weapon durability. He already knows Flare, boosting his offense and providing a method of self-healing. His speed is very low, so skills like Adept and Vantage do not work well on him. Nihil is a useful skill if the player wants to use Bastian for combat in endgame.
Bastian has a wind affinity which gives an accuracy and avoid boost. As his join time is extremely late, he will not have time to build a strong support with other units, so he is best supporting another late-game or leftover unsupported unit. As some endgame enemies have very high avoid, partnering him with a unit with a fire or heaven affinity can help. If the player wants to boost their own units avoid for endgame, partnering Bastian with an earth or dark affinity unit can help. A double wind affinity also accomplishes both, albeit to a weaker extent.
Personality and character
Though exceptionally bright and knowledgeable in the ways of diplomacy and the broader world, Bastian prefers to cloak himself in a grandiose, theatrical air. He constantly speaks in an elaborate poetic manner incorporating iambic pentameter, often obscuring his true meaning through heavy-handed verse and minor riddles; this leads most people with whom he deals to be frustrated at him. Despite his usual outward behavior, he is typically calmer and more level-headed than his associates, keeping calm in times of stress or excitement. He harbors an ongoing romantic interest in fellow Crimean knight Lucia, whom he pursues relentlessly; he believes that she reciprocates this despite her constant protestations.
Path of Radiance
- Main article: Bastian/Supports (Path of Radiance)
Crimea's Keystone - Bastian
Bastian's unparalleled diplomatic skills ensured that many treaties were signed, spreading peace across Tellius.
|“||True knights know when to retreat.||”|
— An unused quote intended to be Bastian's escape quote in Path of Radiance.
|“||Izuka: Have a care, Crimean count! If my knowledge dies, so does your only hope of saving that man!
Bastian: Hmm...it’s true that your knowledge is a valuable asset.
Izuka: Ah, my noble count! You are most merciful!
Bastian: I have some knowledge of anatomy. Once you are dead, perhaps I will dissect your brain and see if I can identify the root of your intelligence.
Izuka: Y-you monster! What you suggest is unconscionable!
Bastian: Exactly, yet you had no hesitation before doing worse to the laguz. I will speed you now to the afterlife, where you may contemplate your life’s egregious mistakes.
— Bastian, when fighting Izuka in Part 4 Chapter 5 of Radiant Dawn.
|“||Gaa...urr... Does my glorious life end here? No, I say... My eyes must not close. Not until they witness the rebirth of my beloved Crimea...||”|
— Bastian, in Path of Radiance.
|“||...Here shall I cross... from this world...to death's dry kingdom. I always suspected...that it would come to this.||”|
— Bastian, in Radiant Dawn.
Fire Emblem Cipher
Bastian is currently featured on two cards in Fire Emblem Cipher.
- One of the below cards' quotes is still in raw, untranslated Japanese; it needs translation.
|Fire Emblem Cipher data for Bastian|
|Deputy Prime Minster of Crimea, Bastian|
|Attack: 60||Support: 20||Range: 1-2||Deploy Cost: 4|
|Class: Wind Sage||Tier: Advanced||Class Change Cost: 3|
|Back to Work: [Trigger]  When another ally is growthed, you may pay the cost, and if you do: Draw a card.|
Crimea's Tactician: [Special] When this card in your hand is discarded by an opponent's skill or an opponent's support skill, your opponent must discard a card. This skill cannot be activated unless you have at least one bond.
|Card #B05-096HN • Artist: Yoneko|
|Crimea's Keystone, Bastian|
|"For my rudeness..... I beg of you please forgive me."|
|Attack: 40||Support: 20||Range: 1-2||Deploy Cost: 2|
|Class: Wind Mage||Tier: Base||Class Change Cost: --|
|Stepping Stone to Victory: [Trigger] [Once per turn] When this unit is destroyed by an attack, choose 1 ally. Choose 1 card with the same unit name as that ally in your Retreat Area , then stack it under that ally to growth them. (A growthed unit is treated as if it is Leveled Up. If they possess a , they are able to use it.)|
|Card #B05-097N • Artist: Yoneko|
|Some card information translation provided by Serenes Forest.|
For more detailed strategic information on these cards, see their TCG wiki article on Bastian .
- According to Tellius Recollection, Bastian was designed with an apparent age of 25 in Path of Radiance and 27 in Radiant Dawn.
Etymology and other languages
|Names, etymology and in other regions|
|Language||Name||Definition, etymology and notes|
German contracted form of Sebastian, from the Latin Sebastianus, "from Sebaste".
Variant of Yuri, the Slavic variant of the given name George.
- "Lucia: We disguised ourselves as merchants or peasants, and Daein looked right past us. Their arrogance is without equal...However, now that we've heard of your return, we are bringing out our hidden Crimean armor and polishing away!
Elincia: Merchants? Ha! Geoffrey is one thing, but I cannot imagine Bastian as a shopkeeper.
Lucia: No one could. That's why he dressed as a street performer.
Elincia: Now that, I can see! I'm sure it suited him perfectly. Did he juggle and gambol about? Hee hee!!" — Lucia and Elincia, Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance
- "Bastian: Duke Renning was apparently killed three years ago...But as you can see, he is still alive. Duke Renning was one of the strongest warriors in Crimea, and while Daein tried to kill him, he survived. When the Mad King heard of his skill,he had Renning kidnapped and gave him the drug that creates Feral Ones. This drug made Duke Renning even stronger, but shattered his mind. He became Bertram, one of Ashnard's infamous Four Riders. After Her Majesty and company defeated him, I had him taken back to my castle. I hoped to find a cure, but I didn't want to raise false hope, Your Majesty, so I kept the secret. However, his mind continued to deteriorate, and there were no signs of improvement. As a last resort, I hired Volke to investigate a way to cure him. Volke quickly discovered that Duke Renning's transformation was engineered by a man called Izuka. This man had made himself an aide to the new king of Daein and was not difficult to locate. Feeling that Renning was running out of time, we kidnapped Izuka to learn more of the condition.Returning to Fayre Castle, we interrogated Izuka at length and discovered more about his experiments. Perhaps unsurprisingly, beorc are affected differently by the drug than laguz. Izuka then offered to create an antidote in exchange for his freedom.
Geoffrey: Did you agree to it?!
Bastian: We refused without a second thought. Such a monster cannot be allowed to roam free. Besides, we know a more certain way to cure Lord Renning.
Lucia: The galdr of rebirth!" — Bastian, Geoffrey and Lucia, Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn
- "Elincia: Sir Ike... If you hadn't come to help, I would have lost one of my dearest friends. Thank you... Thank you ever so much.
Ike: We were happy to do it. And Bastian pays well for mercenary work.
Ike: Yes. The count of Fayre knew about Ludveck's plotting before he left for Daein. Bastian guessed that if he left the country, the rebels would feel confident enough to make their move. What else would you expect from Crimea's top tactician? Well...Crimea's most deceptive old dog, at any rate.
Elincia: Yes, that's just like him...
Ike: Sorry that we had to stay hidden until the last minute. For a ruse like that to work, you have to deceive allies as well as enemies. I know you were acting in Crimea's best interests, but I'm sorry you had to let that happen to Lucia." — Elincia and Ike, Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn
- "Elincia: After the Mad King's War, Begnion sent an envoy to investigate war crimes committed during Ashnard's reign. The Black Knight had already left Daein before the empire's observer arrived. Where he went remains a mystery. That was the last piece of information we received from Bastian. Then he sent word saying that something more important had come up with regards to Crimea. He's been missing ever since. I haven't heard a single word from him.
Ike: Bastian likes to keep his secrets. He's probably just laying low somewhere.
Lucia: I'm not so sure. He must've found something important, some new piece of information that he had to pursue." — Elincia, Ike and Lucia, Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn
- "Bastian: I suppose one as swift as our king of the skies is unlikely to count patience as one of his virtues. Fear not! I shall tell you everything. But first, I must ask you both to step away from other ears. And would it be possible to rouse the prince with the elegant white wings?
Tibarn: Are you asking me to get Reyson? Fine. But do me a favor and talk like a normal person, would you?
Lucia: It is a terrible habit of yours, Bastian. I've never known anyone who talked so much, but said so little." — Bastian, Tibarn and Lucia, Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn
- "Geoffrey: Say, Bastian... How far do you suppose the princess and her escort have come? Why aren't they here yet?
Bastian: ...Sigh. Listen, friend. You have asked me that same question fifty-eight times. And I have responded fifty-seven times. But now, fifty-eight comes anon...You. Need. To. Calm. Yourself.
Geoffrey: I know, but--
Bastian: It's only a little while longer. Make no mistake, our princess will arrive today. I understand your impatience, I really do. But you're the general of our little army. If you act so, the men will react in kind.
Geoffrey: You, you're right...
Bastian: A true knight is the essence of composure. Take a deep breath. Breathe in...and out..." — Geoffrey and Bastian, Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance
- "Lucia: Count Bastian! Where are you?!
Bastian: Lady Lucia... It's not like you to be looking for me. Or even acknowledge my existence, for that matter! Ta ha ha!
Lucia: How badly are you hurt? Do I need to tie a tourniquet?
Bastian: A tourniquet? Ta ha ha, aha! No, my dear. I'm not injured. Unless you include the heart which you have so eagerly stomped!
Lucia: You aren't hurt? Really? I heard a funny-looking man with a mustache suffered a severe injury. Naturally, I assumed it was you. But I see that wasn't the case.
Bastian: Lady Lucia! You were so concerned with my welfare that you rushed to my aid! Ah! You are a true delight! A magestic--
Lucia: That isn't the case at all.
Bastian: There's no use in fighting your feelings! I have already given in to the bottomless pit that is my love for you!
Lucia: Did you not hear me? I already told you how I felt.
Bastian: The more you try to hide it, the more your true feelings show through! You cannot fight true romance any more than you can fight the tides, milady.
Lucia: Arrrggg... Count! Will you please listen to me?!" — Lucia and Bastian, Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance
- FE PoR: Bastian Character Profile (P. 62) Translation | kantopia, www.kantopia.wordpress.com, Retrieved: 9 March 2018
- FE RD: Bastian Character Profile (P. 61) Translation | kantopia, www.kantopia.wordpress.com, Retrieved: 9 March 2018
- Behind the Name: Meaning, origin and history of the name Bastian, www.behindthename.com, Retrieved: 9 March 2018
- Ulysses - Name Meaning, What does Ulysses mean?, www.thinkbabynames.com, Retrieved: 9 March 2018
|This article is part of Project Characters, a project focused in writing articles for every character present in the Fire Emblem series.|
|Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn|