|Warning: This wiki contains spoilers. Read at your own risk!|
Social media: Get in touch with Fire Emblem Wiki on !
|“||Quite the clever one, aren't you? ...It's a bit infuriating. Still, I'll wager your friends are seldom bored. Maybe I'll just have to join up and see. If there's room for one more, that is?||”|
— Sonya to Celica
- 1 Fire Emblem Gaiden
- 2 Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia
- 3 Fire Emblem Heroes
- 4 Personality and character
- 5 Supports
- 6 Base conversations
- 7 Endings
- 8 Quotes
- 9 Other appearances
- 10 Trivia
- 11 Etymology and other languages
- 12 Gallery
- 13 References
She appears in the Northern Desert, under the forced employ of Grieth, and is recruited if Celica decides to fight Deen. Both her and Deen hate Grieth, but they also seem to have their own disagreements, preventing either from doing anything about Grieth. After Deen is killed Sonya retreats to Grieth's Fortress and is recruited after his death; being happy to lend her strength to the ones that dethroned Grieth.
If Celica fights her, she perishes in the desert.
Starting stats and growth rates
Boss, Act 3 Playable
Promotion stat gains
|Priestess||+x to 36||+x to 5||+x to 1||+x to 1||+0||+x to 1||+0||+0||+0||--|
- In Gaiden, promotion gains consist of giving the character as many points as necessary—the "x" value shown in the table—to reach the promoted class' base stats. If the character's stats are higher than their promoted class' base stats, they will not receive any bonus; however, if all stats are higher, then they will receive +1 to HP.
This section has been marked as a stub. Please help improve the page by adding information.
Sonya has a slightly different story role in Echoes: Shadows of Valentia compared to Gaiden. Sonya is a mercenary hired by Grieth, and like Deen, has no particular loyalty to the man. If Celica bypasses her, she chooses not to aid Grieth in defending the citadel. There is no mention of Deen and Sonya keeping each other in check. Sonya joins Celica's group after Grieth's defeat because she thinks their escapades will be an interesting adventure for her.
After this Sonya has no particular story prescence aside from her battle quote with Jedah in act 4.
If Celica decides to fight Sonya instead of Deen, Sonya perishes in the desert like in Gaiden.
Starting stats and growth rates
Playable Boss, Normal Boss, Hard
|Recover||Priestess, level 1|
|Rewarp||Priestess, level 5|
|Entrap||Priestess, level 10|
|If the character promotes before learning a spell, the level at which that spell is learned becomes (Spell's level - [Level before promotion +1]).|
Promotion stat gains
|Priestess||+x to 32||+0||+0||+0||+0||+x to 6||+0||+0||--|
- In Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia, promotion gains consist of giving the character as many points as necessary—the "x" value shown in the table—to reach the promoted class' base stats. If the character's stats are higher than their promoted class' base stats, they will not receive any bonus; however, if all stats are higher, then they will receive +1 to HP.
Unfortunately, Sonya's black magic spell pool has been reduced from her Gaiden appearance, losing Seraphim and Sagittae, two powerful spells. The loss of Seraphim is particularly painful due to its utility on the terror-filled enemy loadouts of Celica's journey. She still starts with Excalibur, making her a fair critical hit dealer immediately upon recruitment. Her learned magic upon becoming a priestess gives her some interesting utility, being able to warp enemies close to her for her allies to dispose of them as well as the ability to warp to any ally over any distance, allowing for high mobility despite only having 4 movement in her native class line.
There is often debate on the Deen-Sonya recruitment choice; both units are fairly good, though Celica's party has a fair amount of both Mercenaries and Mages. Neither character is excessively weaker than the other initially, though Deen generally will class change sooner than Sonya, and Sonya learns her more interesting utility spells at late levels. Another thing to note is that Sonya's Steel Shield is lost if she is killed as an enemy, while Deen's Brave Sword, while certainly superior, can be pried out of his cold, dead hands as a drop.However in optimal play Deen is vastly preffered over Sony thanks to his classline and after promotion Sony will be left in the dust.
It should also be noted that Sonya is Genny's only ranked support partner. If Sonya is not recruited Genny will have only bond supports; if Deen is not recruited Jesse still has Saber as an option. These supprts aren't too important as neither give amazing bonuses and Genny shouldn't usually be used as anything other than a support unit
Sonya is one of the characters added to the game in the Bitter Enemies update, and became available for summoning by players on July 13, 2017. Only one variation of Sonya is currently available in Heroes, based on her Echoes: Shadows of Valentia incarnation.
- Sonya: Vengeful Mage is only available at 5★ rarity.
|Dark Excalibur||★★★★★||400 SP|
|A||Warding Blow 1||★★★★★||50 SP|
|A||Mirror Strike 1||★★★★★||120 SP|
|A||Mirror Strike 2||★★★★★||240 SP|
|C||Res Ploy 1||★★★★★||60 SP|
|C||Res Ploy 2||★★★★★||120 SP|
|C||Res Ploy 3||★★★★★||240 SP|
Personality and character
Sonya grew up in a priory with her sisters, though this tired her of piousness and she generally avoids such activities in her adulthood. It is unclear when she left the priory and became separated from her sisters. She has a deep-seated hatred of her father, Jedah, due to him being responsible for transforming Marla and Hestia, Sonya's elder sisters, into witches. Sonya has always chosen to live on her own desires, to which Hestia is somewhat jealous of,  and to the disapproval of her father. Sonya appears to still miss her sisters, if she falls in battle her final thoughts are of them.
Even after her sister's deaths in the battle against Duma, Sonya searched extensively for a way to return witches to normal. It is unknown if she ever found a way to do this, as she vanished to an ambiguous fate.
Sonya appreciates her appearance, though not to an exaggerated or narcissistic degree.
- Main article: Sonya/Supports
- Main article: Sonya/Conversations
Echoes: Shadows of Valentia
Sonya's search for a cure for women turned into witches took her across the land. Her trail ended in a remote region, after which she was never seen again. Rumors fly, however, that shortly thereafter a new witch took up residence in Nuibaba's abode on Fear Mountain.
|“||Hehehe, little girl and company -- too bad, but you're going to die!||”|
— Sonya as an enemy in Gaiden
|“||Naughty children. You ought never have made an enemy of Grieth. Still, this is mere business for my part. No hard feelings, I pray.||”|
— Sonya as an enemy in Echoes: Shadows of Valentia
Jedah: Well, if it isn't Sonya.
Sonya: You've no idea how long I've waited for this day. You stole the lives of my sisters and cursed them to become witches! I will avenge them with your blood!
Jedah: Their souls were offered to Duma freely, and both received endless bliss in turn. Only a fool would refuse to see a truth so plain. You are a burden to your wise sisters, and I shall relieve them of it now!
— Jedah to Sonya in act 4 of Echoes: Shadows of Valentia
|“||Ugh. It's almost painful to watch... Just how hopelessly ignorant can someone be?||”|
— Sonya's final battle quote in Echoes: Shadows of Valentia
|“||Let's have some fun.||”|
|“||Time for a little discipline.||”|
|“||My fate's come to an end too...||”|
— Sonya, in Gaiden
|“||It seems...today is the day... my star...goes out...||”|
— Sonya as an enemy in Echoes: Shadows of Valentia
|“||If this is...where my story ends, then so be it... My...sisters...||”|
— Sonya's death quote in Classic Mode in Echoes: Shadows of Valentia
|“||Well, this is damn infuriating... Sorry, but I'm done for the day. Scars aren't really my style.||”|
— Sonya's retreat quote in Casual Mode in Echoes: Shadows of Valentia
- Main article: Sonya/Quotes (Heroes)
Sonya appears in the Gaiden manga with an initially similar role to her Gaiden appearance, though she is given a comparatively large amount of dialogue and story presence compared to the original Gaiden.
On their journey through the desert, Palla tells Celica about Grieth's two bodyguards, Sonya and Deen. Palla mentions that Sonya and her two sisters were cursed to be witches. Celica decides to fight Deen. During the battle against him Sonya appears, and asks Deen if he's trying to steal her glory again. Deen reminds her that both of them have orders to kill Celica anyway. Sonya then attacks Boey and Mae.
Later, Grieth appears and asks what is taking Sonya and Deen so long to defeat Celica. Grieth also takes the opportunity to attack Deen and Sonya; he had been looking for an opportunity to get rid of the two of them. Deen takes the blow from Grieth for Sonya and dies. Celica, during the distraction, finishes Grieth. Sonya takes Deen's death hard, and mourns him.
After Celica's group arrives at Mila's Temple Sonya tells Celica about Jedah, who resides in the Duma Tower, and that he is likely the one to have Mila. After entering Lost Treescape Sonya tells Celica more about Jedah and her sisters, Marla and Hestia; they were all devout followers of Duma. However, Duma changed, and corrupted his followers, driving Jedah mad and eventually killing Marla and Hestia. Sonya says she'll pray for them when everything is over; she also thanks Celica for showing her that she could change her own fate.
Fire Emblem Cipher
Sonya is currently featured on three cards in Fire Emblem Cipher.
- One of the below cards' epithets is still in raw, untranslated Japanese; it needs translation.
|Fire Emblem Cipher data for Sonya|
|Enchantress of the Southern Desert, Sonya|
||"Hmm... I wonder if this is really such a great idea."|
|Attack: 40||Support: 20||Range: 1-2||Deploy Cost: 2|
|Class: Mage||Tier: Base||Class Change Cost: --|
|Commander of Witches: [Activate] [Once per turn] Choose any number of your other untapped allies as you wish, and move them.|
|Card #B09-039HN • Artist: Niji|
|"If beautiful women don't celebrate their beauty, the entire human race loses out. Don't you agree?"|
|Attack: 60||Support: 20||Range: 1||Deploy Cost: 3|
|Class: Priestess||Tier: Advanced||Class Change Cost: 2|
|Gorgeous Sorcerous Flames: [Activate] [Once per turn]  Until the end of the turn, this unit gains +10 attack and .|
Beautiful Avenger: [Trigger] When this unit's attack destroys an enemy, if this unit has used "Gorgeous Sorcerous Flames" in this turn, draw 1 card.
|Card #B16-056HN • Artist: Yoneko|
|Mage of Thieves, Sonya|
|"Over already? How boring."|
|Attack: 30||Support: 20||Range: 1-2||Deploy Cost: 1|
|Class: Mage||Tier: Base||Class Change Cost: --|
|"Let's have some fun.": [Activate] [Once per turn] [Send 1 from your hand to the Retreat Area] Until the end of the turn, this unit gains +20 attack.|
Magic Emblem: [Support] Draw 1 card. Choose 1 card from your hand, and send it to the Retreat Area.
|Card #B16-057N • Artist: Yoneko|
|Some card information translation provided by Serenes Forest.|
For more detailed strategic information on these cards, see their TCG wiki article on Sonya .
- Like many characters appearing in Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia, her hair color was changed; in this case, she originally had red hair and was given purple hair in her redesign. This was presumably done to make her look more like her sisters.
- Rei Shimoda, Sonya's Japanese voice actress, also voices young Gray in Echoes: Shadows of Valentia.
Etymology and other languages
|Names, etymology and in other regions|
|Language||Name||Definition, etymology and notes|
|English||Sonya||As of Echoes: Shadows of Valentia. A feminine given name from a Russian diminutive of Sophia, meaning "wisdom" in Greek.|
|• Used in the latest Gaiden fan translation.|
• Used in the older Gaiden fan translation. Presumably this odd abbreviation is due to space issues.
|Japanese||ソニア||Officially romanized as Sonya.|
Artwork of Sonya from the art book Fire Emblem: The Complete.
Artwork of Sonya from Echoes: Shadows of Valentia.
Concept artwork of Sonya from Echoes: Shadows of Valentia.
Full portrait artwork of Sonya from Echoes: Shadows of Valentia.
Portrait of Sonya from Echoes: Shadows of Valentia.
Sonya in the manga.
- Voice Of Sonya - Fire Emblem | Behind The Voice Actors, www.behindthevoiceactors.com, Retrieved: 8 January, 2018
- "Her two older sisters, Marla and Hestia, had been reborn as witches to be sacrificed to Duma... Sonya would never forgive their father Jedah for making his three daughters into sacrifices." — Sonya's ending, Fire Emblem Gaiden
- "Grieth has these two subordinates named Sonya and Deen. The troops under their respective commands guard the northern and southern regions of the desert. That said, it seems like the two of them both hate Grieth. However, because they're holding each other in check, betrayal's out of the question. So if you're careful about which one of 'em you defeat, the other one may well decide become your ally." — Jesse to Celica, Fire Emblem Gaiden
- "Deen and Sonya. Two of Grieth's best. They're a tough lot, but it's not loyalty that keeps them in Grieth's service. I don't know the specifics, but it's clear they've their own ambitions. They guard his citadel from the north and south ends of the desert. Break through one, and you'll have a clear path to move on Grieth. Whichever you fight, the other won't go out of their way to chase you down. ...Er, probably." — Jesse to Celica, Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia
- "Quite the clever one, aren't you? ...It's a bit infuriating. Still, I'll wager your friends are seldom bored. Maybe I'll just have to join up and see. If there's room for one more, that is?" — Sonya to Celica, Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia
- "Sonya: I also grew up in a priory, although it was my father who abandoned me.
Genny: Is that true?
Sonya: Yes. And if I met a man who reminded me of him, I'd likely kick his face in." — Sonya to Genny, Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia
- "I lived in a priory when I was a child, you know. Wearing the same drab habit... Praying day after day after day... Well. no thank you. I'm done with all that." — Sonya to Celica in a base conversation, Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia
- "I'm not usually the pious, obedient type..." — Sonya upon class changing at a Mila Shrine, Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia
- "That's no fair, Sonya... Why should you be the only one allowed to live as she chooses?" — Hestia commenting to herself on Sonya, Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia
- "Only a fool would refuse to see a truth so plain. You are a burden to your wise sisters, and I shall relieve them of it now!" — Jedah, Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia
- "If this is...where my story ends, then so be it... My...sisters..." — Sonya's death quote, Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia
- "Sonya's search for a cure for women turned into witches took her across the land. Her trail ended in a remote region, after which she was never seen again. Rumors fly, however, that shortly thereafter a new witch took up residence in Nuibaba's abode on Fear Mountain." — Sonya's ending, Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia
- "You've got a pretty face, Celica, yet somehow you're just so...plain. As a princess, shouldn't you be decked out in silk and gold and other fineries? ...That stuff just gets in the way? Ugh, you're such a pragmatist. If it were me, I'd be swimming in jewels! Maybe even wear my hair up... Don't you think it's fun to daydream about that sort of thing? [...] If beautiful women don't celebrate their beauty, the entire human race loses out. Don't you agree?" — Sonya to Celica in a base conversation, Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia
- Rei Shimoda | Behind The Voice Actors, www.behindthevoiceactors.com, Retrieved: 8 January, 2018
|This article is part of Project Characters, a project focused in writing articles for every character present in the Fire Emblem series.|
|Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia|
|Fire Emblem Heroes|