Cormag (Japanese: クーガー Cugar) is a wyvern rider who appears in Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones. First appearing in either Eirika's Chapter 13 or Ephraim's Chapter 10, he is the younger brother of Glen and a high-ranking member in Grado's military.
- 1 Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones
- 2 Personality and character
- 3 Supports
- 4 Endings
- 5 Death quote
- 6 Battle quotes
- 7 Other appearances
- 8 Trivia
- 9 Etymology and other languages
- 10 Gallery
- 11 References
Cormag then appears in Chapter 10, speaking with Glen again after Glen is ordered by Emperor Vigarde to kill Eirika. Glen is hesitant, but Cormag encourages him, because it is an emperor's order. Then, Valter appears, insulting Glen, and Cormag angrily threatens Valter. Glen tells Cormag to calm down. In Chapter 11, Glen is killed by Valter after refusing to kill Eirika.
In Chapter 13, Valter tells Cormag that Eirika had killed Glen to manipulate Cormag into killing Eirika. He appears in battle and heads for Eirika and threatens to kill her. However, she convinces him that she did not kill her brother, and he realizes that he had been manipulated by Valter. He then vows to fight for Eirika to avenge his brother's death, and he does for the rest of the game.
Cormag appears in Chapter 10, talking with General Selena, who orders him to help her kill General Duessel, who has been marked a traitor. He is hesitant and reminds her that he has been like a father to Selena and Glen; however, Selena says she will follow the emperor's orders.
Cormag flies into battle, but is convinced by somebody from Ephraim's army to join them. Tana questions his actions of killing Duessel, continually asking questions about his opinions on the matter, but he ignores. However, he eventually gives in to her words and decides to settle the matter with Duessel himself. Alternately, Duessel talks to Cormag, who prepares to kill Duessel. However, Cormag is unable to, and decides, confused, that Duessel is not a traitor. He decides to join Duessel's side. Either way, he loyally fights with Ephraim's army for the rest of the game.
Starting stats and growth rates
- Note: These are Cormag's stats for his appearance in Ephraim's route. In Eirika's route, he appears at Level 11 with stats raised accordingly, and therefore slightly higher.
Promotion stat gains
|Wyvern Lord||+4||+2||+2||+0||+0||+2||+0||+1||+1||D, +40|
Personality and character
Cormag is a very calm and aloof man, although he can become furious at times. He compares himself to a wyvern in this aspect. He is a very skilled fighter, but dislikes war. He has great pride in his country of Grado, despite their many atrocities committed. Cormag remembers that Grado was formerly a great country, and hopes to rebuild his country. He does have a sweet side, shown when he asks Natasha to heal a small kitten.
Cormag is the brother of Glen, both high-ranking soldiers in the military of Grado. They are quite well known, shown when Seth recognizes Cormag. He and his brother grew up as farmers' children, and when the emperor passed through their village, dogs began to harass the horses. Glen and Cormag threw stones at the dog to drive it away, but they were arrested, since they had hit some of the soldiers. However, the emperor Vigarde then invited them to dinner and recruited them for the army. Afterwards, he became a great soldier Grado's army.
- Main article: Cormag/Supports
Cormag, Aloof Lanceman
Cormag returned to Grado to assist in the reconstruction of his country. Shortly after, he left to wander on his own. When he reappeared, he rejoined the army not as a knight but as a common soldier.
Cormag and Tana
Cormag returned to Grado to assist in the reconstruction of his country. Shortly after, he left to wander on his own. Tana spent years looking for him. In time, she found him and knighted him in Frelia's service.
|“||Blast! My brother would never have gone out like this...||”|
Vs. Valter (Eirika's route)
Valter: "What now, Cormag? Have you betrayed your oaths and your emperor?"
Cormag: "I have. I can no longer serve Grado. But I must know the truth, Valter, and you will tell me. You're the one who murdered my brother, aren't you?"
Valter: "...Hmph. No reason for lies, seeing as you're nothing but a traitor. You're right, Cormag! I was the one who cut your brother down. He was just like you, a weak, pitiful fool."
Cormag: "......Ha...Ha ha ha..."
Valter: "Why do you laugh, dolt?"
Cormag: "How can I not? I've dreamt of revenge, chased it for days... And now it's here before me. Oh, Valter... your death will be slow and agonizing."
Vs. Valter (Ephraim's route)
Valter: "Is that you, Cormag? Even you have turned your back on the emperor?"
Valter: "Don't tell me you stand there thinking you can beat me. You're not strong enough. You know this to be true."
Valter: "If you swear fealty to Grado again, I may let you live. You don’t want to die an oath breaker, do you? Well? Will you crawl before me and beg for forgiveness?"
Cormag: "...Yes, I have broken my vows, Valter. And yes, it may be I who falls when we tilt lances... But a dog like you will never see me crawl."
Valter: "Brave words from a traitor. Let's see if your lance is as sharp as your tongue."
- The official English site for The Sacred Stones claims that Glen and Cormag are twins.
- In the prototype version, Cormag had a similar role to Joshua; he was a coin-flipping Mercenary who could be recruited by Natasha in Chapter 5. By the time of the retail version, he replaced Nate (an unused character mostly removed from the final game) as the playable Wyvern Rider.
- Cormag's growth rates are identical to Raven's from Fire Emblem: The Blazing Blade.
- In Cormag's English A support with Artur, Artur explains that wyvernstones are rarer than dragonstones. This is a mistranslation: in the Japanese script, dragonstones are never mentioned, only wyvernstones.
- In his A support with Tana, in the Japanese version Cormag says that he's thinking of disappearing. The English version changed this line so Cormag instead says that he`s thinking of getting into woodworking.
- In the Japanese version of Sacred Stones, Cormag's bases when recruited in Eirika's route are significantly inflated and increased for unknown reasons. This change is not present in Ephraim's route.
Etymology and other languages
|Names, etymology and in other regions|
|Language||Name||Definition, etymology and notes|
|English||Cormag||The Scottish form of Cormac, possibly derived from Irish Gaelic corb, which can mean "wheel" or "raven", and mac, which means "son".|
|Japanese||クーガー||Officially romanized as Cugar.|
Artwork of Cormag from The Sacred Stones.
- "Artur: So this is a wyvern...
Cormag: Hey, what's going on here? Don't get too close now. It may look calm now, but it's got a dangerous side. Like me." — Cormag and Artur's C support, Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones
- "Cormag: I agree. This whole war is ludicrous. War itself is madness, even more so if it's for greed or the fantasy of power." — Cormag and Tana's B support, Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones
- "Natasha: Heal...who? Do you mean that kitten?
Cormag: Yeah, what's the matter? Can't you do kittens?" — Cormag and Natasha's C support, Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones
- "Cormag: I know you. Of course I know you. You're General Seth, the Silver Knight.
Seth: ...Yes, that's right. And you are Cormag, the renowned wyvern rider of Grado.
Cormag: If the legendary Silver Knight knows my name, I can't be doing too bad, huh?
Seth: You and your brother, Glen, are famous even among the Knights of Renais. We have no wyvern riders in Renais, and your stories are favorites among the men. I've been watching your combat style since you joined our forces." — Cormag and Seth's C support, Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones
- "Cormag: No, I come from a long line of dirt-poor farmers.
Cormag: The emperor's caravan passed through our village one day. ... Then, a stray dog started to harry the horses pulling the emperor's carriage. We threw rocks to drive off the mutt, but some soldiers decided to arrest us.
Seth: Why? You were trying to help...
Cormag: Yes, well. We didn't just hit the dog. We got a few of the soldiers as well.
Seth: Ah-ha... So, what happened next?
Cormag: Well, the emperor shows up in the room the soldiers had thrown us. He looks around and, in this very calm but stern voice, says to the soldiers: "What are you men doing, arresting mere children? They were trying to help!" Then, he invites us to dine at his table, and it was a luxurious feast, I tell you! Now, we were just kids. We lacked the basic courtesies. We were just filthy. And we kept droning on about the most idiotic things: chores, the village... But he listened to us intently, and that fatherly smile never left his face. And he said, "You lads are good at driving off dogs with stones... Your skills are wasted in the fields. Let's see how you fare with spears instead."" — Cormag and Seth's B support, Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones
- "With his twin brother, Glen, the two make a formidable opponent." — Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones, Tanasmanor.net
- "With his twin brother, Cormag, Glen pursues Eirika and Ephraim, not out of hatred, but revenge." — Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones, Tanasmanor.net
|This article is part of Project Characters, a project focused in writing articles for every character present in the Fire Emblem series.|