|“||That, my dear, is my little secret. Mine may be a bit unique, though. My life's taken some odd turns, but it's because of them that I started dancing. And when I'm dancing, I'm happy.||”|
— Tethys, on her dancing style
Tethys (Japanese: テティス Tethys) is a dancer who appears in Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones. She is from Jehanna, a desert country on the continent of Magvel. She is the older sister of Ewan and a member of Gerik's mercenary company. Since she is a dancer, she provides morale boosts to her fellow allies, but cannot fight on her own.
Tethys first appears in a village in Chapter 5, in which she tells the visiting unit that they just missed her performance. However, she states that a wealthy viewer left her with many gifts, and she gives a Dragonshield to said visitor, saying that wealth is useless if it's not used to benefit others, and that she cannot possibly carry all of her donations.
Later, she appears in the middle of the game either in Eirika or Ephraim's route. Either way, she is hired by Innes to help him on his way to the country of Jehanna. In Eirika's route, she appears in Chapter 10 with Gerik and Innes, trapped in a fortress in Carcino. After Innes chooses to leave Gerik and Tethys, she stays with Gerik and they fend for themselves. However, Eirika reaches them and convinces them to join her army.
Alternatively, in Ephraim's route, Innes sends them to help Ephraim. They appear in Chapter 13, and first meet Myrrh and tell her where Ephraim is. They are trapped quite far away from Ephraim with few supplies, but they manage to survive against Grado troops until Ephraim arrives to help them. Afterwards, Tethys joins Ephraim and helps to dance for the other soldiers for the rest of the game.
Starting stats and growth rates
Eirika's route Ephraim's route
Personality and character
Tethys is a very graceful and beautiful woman who is confident in herself and her dancing abilities. She is quite sociable and often can be teasing and playful. To those she is close to, Tethys is very caring, such as how she cares greatly for her brother Ewan and acts as a maternal figure to Artur. Although she warns Ewan that the battlefield is a dangerous place that, at least to her, he is too young for, she still accepts that he is growing up. She also is quite observant, such as when she notices that Marisa is left-handed.
Tethys is the sister of Ewan, a young novice mage. She and Ewan were abandoned when they were just children, and they lived in the streets alone. However, Tethys worked hard to help Ewan by trying to imitate the moves of a street dancer. She fell many times and become covered in cuts and bruises, but she did it for a better life, so she would not have to see Ewan cry. Eventually, she was able to make a living with her dance, as well as raise her brother on her own. How she met Gerik is unknown, but she is currently a loyal and steadfast member of Gerik's mercenary group. As part of the group, she is also a friend of Marisa. Both Tethys and Marisa have feelings for Gerik, but either one can marry him depending on which girl has an A support level with him.
- Main article: Tethys/Supports
Tethys, Beloved Dancer
She danced from city to city, and the entire continent became her stage. Her fame grew and grew, and large crowds gathered wherever she performed.
Gerik and Tethys
Gerik and Tethys remained bound to no nation and beholden to no authority. They bought themselves a leisurely retirement. Gerik taught fencing to city youths, and Tethys found many stages on which to dance.
|“||The dark rider I foresaw... He was coming for me...||”|
Tethys has no battle quotes in The Sacred Stones.
- Tethys's death quote and an offhand line to Gerik in her support conversation with him seem to imply that Tethys has some skill in making fortunes, though this ability ends up never being mentioned in detail elsewhere.
- In the Japanese version of Tethys's C support with Marisa, Tethys asks Marisa why she sleeps on her left side, to which Marisa replies that she sleeps with her dominant side up. This is incorrect as Marisa is left-handed. The English version modified so that Tethys asks Marisa why she sleeps on her right side.
Etymology and other languages
|Names, etymology and in other regions|
|Language||Name||Definition, etymology and notes|
|English||Tethys||Tethys was a titan in Greek mythology who was the daughter of Uranus and Gaia, the wife of Oceanus, and the mother of the river gods and the Oceanids.|
|Japanese||テティス||Officially romanized as Tethys.|
Artwork of Tethys from The Sacred Stones.
- "Tethys: Oh, hello. Did you come to see me dance? I'm sorry, but I just finished a few moments ago. Oh, by the way...Would you be interested in one of these items? A wealthy patron left me a small ransom in gifts after watching my performance. You can sell one for gold if you'd like or use them to improve your skills. I simply cannot carry all of this by myself, so please, take this one. Wealth is useless if you can't use it to bring happiness to others, right? Thanks for dropping my. Perhaps we'll meet again someday." — Tethys, Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones
- "Tethys: Tee-hee... Very well. I shall mother you. Call me "mom," child." — Tethys and Artur's A support, Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones
- "Ewan: Oh, you don't have to worry about me. But since I'm here, I'd like to be of use. Otherwise I'm just in the way. You gotta let me do something.
Tethys: You have a point, but you're still too young." — Tethys and Ewan's C support, Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones
- "Tethys: Say, Marisa, you're left-handed, right?
Marisa: How did you know that?
Tethys: Well, when you're carrying a sword, don't you always have it in your left hand?" — Tethys and Marisa's C support, Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones
- "Tethys: Chief. The truth is, Ewan and I? We were abandoned by our parents." — Tethys and Gerik's B support, Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones
- "Tethys: Then one day I said to myself, "We cannot go on like this!" I watched a dancer on a street corner and memorized all of her moves. I wasn't a very coordinated child and it was so difficult. I didn't have real shoes, so my feet were a mess of blisters, and I fell so many times I was covered in cuts and bruises. It was painful. And miserable. And very, very difficult. But I never cried. Because if were to cry, he would cry. And I loved seeing Ewan's smiling face. I wanted him to smile all the time, so I worked hard so he could." — Tethys and Gerik's B support, Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones
- "In this next battle, you'll get your hands on some sort of an incredible treasure." — Tethys to Gerik, Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones
|This article is part of Project Characters, a project focused in writing articles for every character present in the Fire Emblem series.|