From Fire Emblem Wiki, your source on Fire Emblem Wiki information. By Fans, for Fans.
Excalibur (Japanese: エクスカリバー Excalibur, or ギガスカリバー Gigascalibur) is a recurring wind-based magic tome which was introduced in Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light. It is a spell that summons strong blades of wind to strike the enemy or, in the Nintendo 3DS games, attacks with a powerful tornado. It is usually a regalia weapon that is among the rarest and most powerful offensive tomes available to the player's army, with the only exceptions being Gaiden and its remake, where a large number of black magic users learn it. In its original appearances in the four Archanea games, Excalibur is Merric's signature tome and it is most often seen used by him.
Excalibur appears in most games in the Fire Emblem series and, as one of the first wind-based spells in the series, many wind tomes in later games have appearances and effects which greatly resemble those of Excalibur. On top of its respectable might, it usually has excellent accuracy and a high crit stat, giving its user the potential to make frequent critical hits. In most games it is also very effective against winged opponents.
In the Archanea games, Excalibur is a potent and revered wind spell passed down by succession through the Archmages ruling Khadein. By the year 604, Archanean calendar, the tome was inherited by the Altean mage Merric, bestowed upon him by Wendell to signify Wendell choosing him as his successor; the other candidate to inherit it was Ellerean, but his ruthless nature led Wendell to decide against entrusting the spell to him. This decision embittered Ellerean toward both Wendell and Merric, and led to him seizing control of Khadein and allying himself with Emperor Hardin in a bid to prove his superiority to Merric.
In Magvel, Excalibur is one of the legendary Sacred Twin weapons once used to defeat the Demon King Fomortiis, and is the property of the desert kingdom Jehanna; its twin is the ice blade Audhulma. Following their successful reclamation of the capital Jehanna Hall from Grado's forces, Excalibur was entrusted to the Renais royals Eirika and Ephraim by Joshua, the last survivor of the Jehanna royal family.
Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light
Mystery of the Emblem
The Sacred Stones
New Mystery of the Emblem
Echoes: Shadows of Valentia
Fire Emblem Cipher
Excalibur is present as a skill on all but one of Merric's cards in Fire Emblem Cipher. It is a manual-activation skill which, for a cost of flipping 1 bond, adds the common "Flier Slayer" skill to Merric until the end of the turn, temporarily giving him an effective bonus of +30 to his attack power when fighting flying-type cards.
- The "calibur" part of Excalibur's name is regularly used across the series as a suffix in the names of other unique or powerful wind tomes, including Aircalibur, Grafcalibur and Rexcalibur. In Japanese versions, Gigascalibur is also an example of this, though international releases instead simply call it "Excalibur".
- Excalibur is the only Nohrian regalia to not be named after something from Germanic mythology.
Etymology and other languages
|Names, etymology and in other regions
|| Definition, etymology and notes
|| • Excalibur
• Dark Excalibur
| • From Excalibur, the mythical sword wielded by King Arthur in British mythology.|
• "Dark" is likely derived from "Shadows of Valentia" to parallel the name change of World of Echoes to World of Shadows. This name is used to indicate this is specifically the Echoes: Shadows of Valentia version of the magic. Used for Sonya's version in Heroes.
|| • エクスカリバー
| • Officially romanized as Excalibur; as above. This name is used in all appearances except Fire Emblem.|
• Gigascalibur; from the Latin gigas, "giant" + the "calibur" part of Excalibur, recurringly used as a suffix in wind magic names in the Fire Emblem series. This name is used in Fire Emblem.
• Echoes Excalibur. This name is used to indicate this is specifically the Echoes: Shadows of Valentia version of the magic. Used for Sonya's version in Heroes.
|| As above.
|| As above.
|| As above.
|| As above.
|| As above.
| Simplified Chinese
| Traditional Chinese
- ↑ "Wendell: You still don't understand my decision, do you? Indeed, as a mage, your power surpasses mine. But you lack compassion. That is why I did not grant you Excalibur.
Ellerean: ... Compassion...?
Wendell: I had decided that you were to be my successor when the time came. To think you would harbor a grudge towards me... Does that not make you the same as Gharnef?" - Wendell and Ellerean, Fire Emblem: New Mystery of the Emblem
- ↑ "Merric: Wait, Ellerean! Why do we have to fight? We were both Master Wendell's pupils: we're friends, are we not? Why do you despise me so?
Ellerean: I was Master Wendell's disciple before you, and I was the stronger one. Even so, Master Wendell gave you Excalibur. He should have given it to me! Clearly, I was the only one worthy to be his successor, yet he...
Merric: But I have no intention of succeeding Master Wendell. I hold no ill feelings for Khadein, but once I finish studying I plan to go home. Back in Altea, there is somebody I must protect for the rest of my life... So, Ellerean, please! Why don't you join us so we can take back Altea?
Ellerean: Altea, you say?! Why should we help a country that rebelled against the empire and attempted to invade their fair nation? The mage corps of Khadein have sworn allegiance to Emperor Hardin. Oh, I see... I knew it was you... YOU dragged the Altean army here!" - Merric and Ellerean, Fire Emblem: New Mystery of the Emblem