|Warning: This wiki contains spoilers. Read at your own risk!|
Discord: If you would like, please join our Discord server!
|“||I respect your choice in life. But I fight to protect only one, not many. I do this for my wife, waiting for me in Pherae.||”|
— Dorcas, in a support conversation with Oswin.
Dorcas (Japanese: ドルカス Dorcas) is a quiet fighter who appears in Fire Emblem: The Blazing Blade. He first appears in Chapter 4 of Lyn's tale, and later reappears in Chapter 11 of Eliwood's tale or Chapter 12 of Hector's tale.
In Chapter 4, Lyn and her party stop to rest at a fort. A woman named Natalie with an affliction impeding her movement asks her for help. Natalie asks if they have seen her husband Dorcas, and shows them a sketch, but Lyn has not.
When bandits come to attack, Natalie hides in the middle of the fortress. Lyn recognizes one of the incoming bandits as Dorcas. She speaks to him, and he reveals that he joined the bandits because he needed money to pay for Natalie's illness. She tells him that Natalie is in the fort. Hearing this, he decides to join Lyn's party.
After the battle is over, Dorcas says he will stay with Lyn, both to earn more money for Natalie and to repay her for protecting his wife. He travels with her for the rest of the story. After the party has defeated Lord Lundgren, he returns to Bern to care for Natalie and fights as a mercenary.
Dorcas appears in Chapter 11, leaving a village near Castle Pherae. He is with Bartre, who is amazed at the nearby Lord Eliwood. While Bartre excitedly talks about helping him, Dorcas is calm about the situation and goes forward to help with few words. He joins Eliwood, and fights with him for the rest of the game.
After the war ends, he buys medicine for Natalie. His ending states that she is quickly recovering from her disease.
Dorcas appears in Chapter 12, in which he accompanies Eliwood, along with Bartre, Rebecca, Lowen, and Marcus. When Hector enters the battle, they are at the south; the two groups meet and come together to defeat the bandits. Dorcas has no dialogue, and joins the army.
Starting stats and growth rates
Lyn's tale Eliwood's tale Hector's tale
- Note: Although the Eliwood/Hector's tale stats are the same as those of Lyn's tale, if Dorcas is defeated in Lyn's tale, his stats will revert to the default stats when he appears in Eliwood or Hector's tale.
Promotion stat gains
Dorcas is an early-joining level 3 Fighter with high HP, solid strength, good skill and speed. His defensive stats are on the lower end, but he is fast enough to not get doubled by enemies. Dorcas's high HP also helps him survive in combat. He has a base C-rank in axes, which is very good for his join time and allows him to use all axes available early on. Axes are also a good weapon type in Blazing Blade, because they have a 1-2 range option and many foes use lances. The 1-2 range option in Hand Axes allows Dorcas to contribute early with chip damage. His skill is high, so this chip damage is fairly reliable unless he is targeting sword users.
Dorcas's main problem is his horrendous speed growth at 20%. His base is high enough to prevent him from getting doubled, but not high enough to double. Dorcas would need several speed levelups to start doubling enemies. Because of his low speed growth, these levelups are unlikely to happen. There are also no Speedwings available early in Hard Mode, which hurts Dorcas even more. He would be among their best recipients, but in Hard Mode, the Chapter 17/18 Speedwings are not there. This leaves Dorcas at an awkward spot where enemies do not double him, but he cannot double either. All good combat units in The Blazing Blade can double and one-round with 1-2 range weapons – Dorcas cannot. It is a pity, because Dorcas's strength base and growth are excellent. With good weapons, Dorcas can approach one-shot thresholds on weaker enemies. But without doubling, he cannot kill most enemies in a single round.
Aside from this problem, Dorcas also lacks a mount and has no utility. His usefulness in most playthroughs is limited to the first few chapters. In these chapters, Dorcas's solid offensive base stats come in handy, as does his high HP. He can fight enemies, double the slowest ones, and chip down foes at 2-range with hand axes. But after the early game, there is no incentive to keep using Dorcas. Most combat units will surpass him very fast, and he offers nothing else to compensate.
There are two different variations of Dorcas available to Heroes, at least one of which is tied to his storyline appearance in The Blazing Blade. The normal variation of Dorcas is one of the characters added to the game in the Farfetched Heroes update, and became available for summoning by players on November 15, 2017. A Halloween variation of Dorcas is one of the characters announced for the game alongside the The Land's Bounty update, and will be made available to players in the seventh edition of the Tempest Trials+, "Familiar Faces", which initially ran from October 14, 2018 through October 24, 2018.
Dorcas: Serene Warrior
- Dorcas: Serene Warrior is only available at 5★ rarity.
|Draconic Aura||★★★★★||200 SP|
|A||Fierce Stance 1||★★★★★||50 SP|
|A||Fierce Stance 2||★★★★★||100 SP|
|A||Fierce Stance 3||★★★★★||200 SP|
|B||Quick Riposte 1||★★★★★||60 SP|
|B||Quick Riposte 2||★★★★★||120 SP|
|B||Quick Riposte 3||★★★★★||240 SP|
|C||Infantry Pulse 1||★★★★★||60 SP|
|C||Infantry Pulse 2||★★★★★||120 SP|
|C||Infantry Pulse 3||★★★★★||240 SP|
Dorcas: Pumpkin Smasher
|A||Fierce Stance 1||★★★★||50 SP|
|A||Sturdy Stance 1||★★★★||120 SP|
|A||Sturdy Stance 2||★★★★||240 SP|
|B||Wary Fighter 1||★★★★||60 SP|
|B||Wary Fighter 2||★★★★||120 SP|
|B||Wary Fighter 3||★★★★★||240 SP|
Personality and character
Dorcas is a quiet, but good-willed man. He is a very devoted husband to his wife Natalie, having joined the army to pay for her illness, and is even willing to listen to Farina's dubious advice on making money. He is calm and collected, refusing offers that would supposedly bring him glory, such as responding to Bartre's bold challenges or Oswin's offer to join the Ostian forces. He has a slightly jaded view of the world, scoffing at the idea of having ideals. Sometimes he can even seem slightly sarcastic, especially when dealing with Bartre. Besides fighting, he seems to have a talent in art, having drawn a portrait of Natalie.
Dorcas lives with his Natalie, who is sick with an illness that seems to heavily impair her motor abilities in her legs, so Dorcas works hard to raise money to buy the cure. They originally lived in Bern, but sometime within a year of Lyn's reunion with her grandfather in Caelin, they moved to Pherae; whether or not they have children is unclear; Dorcas mentions a family, but not specifically children.
- Main article: Dorcas/Supports
Dorcas, Fighter of Bern
Once Lyn's true heritage is recognized in Caelin, Dorcas returns to his home in Bern. There, he cares for his wife and makes a good living as a mercenary, fighting the local bandits.
Dorcas, Serene Warrior
Dorcas returned to Pherae and used the money he earned to buy medicine for Natalie, his wife. She recovers rapidly.
|“||I... I must retreat.||”|
— Dorcas in Lyn's tale.
|“||I'm sorry Natalie... I swore I'd help you... and now I have broken... my oath...||”|
— Dorcas in Eliwood/Hector's tale.
- Main article: Dorcas/Quotes (Heroes)
Fire Emblem Cipher
Dorcas is currently featured on two cards in Fire Emblem Cipher.
|Fire Emblem Cipher data for Dorcas|
|Serene Strong Axe, Dorcas|
|"...Winning this battle means protecting my family."|
|Attack: 60||Support: 10||Range: 1||Deploy Cost: 3|
|Class: Warrior||Tier: Advanced||Class Change Cost: 2|
|Strength for the Sake of Family: [Always] During your turn, this unit gains +10 attack.|
Hand Axe: [Activate]  Until the end of the turn, this unit gains range 1-2.
Guardian Grand Axe: [Support] Until the end of this battle, your defending unit gains +10 attack. You may  and each time you do, this skill is activated again.
|Card #B13-010HN, B13-010ST • Artist: Akihiro Mibuta|
|Family-Loving Fighter, Dorcas|
|"I can't do this. I'm done with these bandits. Here and now. And I would repay you for your kindness toward my wife."|
|Attack: 30||Support: 10||Range: 1||Deploy Cost: 1|
|Class: Fighter||Tier: Base||Class Change Cost: --|
|Fighter's Expertise: [Always] During your turn, this unit gains +20 attack.|
Attack Emblem: [Support] Until the end of this battle, your attacking unit gains +20 attack.
|Card #B13-011N, B13-011ST • Artist: Akihiro Mibuta|
|Some card information translation provided by Serenes Forest.|
For more detailed strategic information on these cards, see their TCG wiki article on Dorcas .
- Dorcas appears in the English commercial for The Blazing Blade. He is attending a meeting in the army, but his mutton is poisoned by the speaker, and he dies.
- This scene is alluded to in his appearance in Heroes, where one of his quotes has him state he ate some bad mutton.
- Dorcas states "Trust nobody" as one of his phrases when entering a map in Heroes, a phrase used by the narrator in the commercial, and in other pieces of marketing for The Blazing Blade.
- Kirk Thornton, Dorcas's English voice actor in Heroes, also voices Surtr in the same game, Iago in Warriors, Nomah in Echoes: Shadows of Valentia, and Yen'fay in Awakening.
Etymology and other languages
|Names, etymology and in other regions|
|Language||Name||Definition, etymology and notes|
A female name, meaning "a woman with many good deeds and much mercy". In the Bible, Dorcas, also known as Tabitha, was a kind, patient disciple who was resurrected from the dead, as an example of the power of God.
Officially romanized as Dorcas; as above.
Dorcas; as above.
Artwork of Dorcas from The Blazing Blade.
- Fire Emblem 7: Dorcas Artbook Translation | kantopia, www.kantopia.wordpress.com, Retrieved: 1 August 2018
- Voice of Dorcas - Fire Emblem Heroes (Game) | Behind The Voice Actors, www.behindthevoiceactors.com, Retrieved: 1 August 2018
- "Farina: Yeah, I heard about that. All right, I’ll give you a little advice then. Just for your wife, see. I don’t usually do this...
Dorcas: I... Thank you." — Dorcas and Farina's B support conversation, Fire Emblem: The Blazing Blade
- "Bartre: Now, we fight!
Dorcas: ...What? I don’t understand. Are we supposed to duel?" — Dorcas and Bartre's C support conversation, Fire Emblem: The Blazing Blade
- "Oswin: Have you considered joining the Ostian knights? We need men like you. Soldiers. Warriors.
Dorcas: ...Sorry, but that’s not my style." — Dorcas and Oswin's C support conversation, Fire Emblem: The Blazing Blade
- "Dorcas: They say she is pure, but a bit too idealistic. Ideals... Ha!! She must be young." — Dorcas and Vaida's B support "conversation", Fire Emblem: The Blazing Blade
- "Bartre: I couldn’t even understand half of the words he used...
Dorcas: I’d imagine not.
Bartre: Hey, are you calling me a fool!
Dorcas: Yes. I am..." — Dorcas and Bartre's A support conversation, Fire Emblem: The Blazing Blade
- "Bartre: Is that a picture? Forgive me, but you don't strike me as the artistic type!
Dorcas: You're one to talk about looks... This is a picture of my...of Natalie.
Bartre: Ohh. I get it. She's in the town square. Well, that's real pretty.
Dorcas: I'd like to draw her in other settings, but she still can't go far from the house..." — Dorcas and Bartre's B support conversation, Fire Emblem: The Blazing Blade
- "Once Lyn's true heritage is recognized in Caelin, Dorcas returns to his home in Bern." — Dorcas's ending in Lyn mode, Fire Emblem: The Blazing Blade
- "I do this for my wife, waiting for me in Pherae." — Dorcas in his and Oswin's A support conversation, Fire Emblem: The Blazing Blade
- "I...must return home alive. My family is waiting for me..." — Dorcas in his and Geitz's support conversation, Fire Emblem: The Blazing Blade
- Kirk Thornton - 454 Character Images | Behind The Voice Actors, www.behindthevoiceactors.com, Retrieved: 1 August 2018
- Dorcas - Name Meaning, What does Dorcas mean?, www.thinkbabynames.com, Retrieved: 1 August 2018
- http://www.ucgstpaul.org/lit/gn/gn013/dorcas.html[dead link]
|This article is part of Project Characters, a project focused in writing articles for every character present in the Fire Emblem series.|
|Fire Emblem Heroes|