|Warning: This wiki contains spoilers. Read at your own risk!|
Discord: If you would like, please join our Discord server!
Coverage update: Vestaria Saga I: War of the Scions is now to be included in our coverage, located within the
|This page has been marked as a stub. Please help improve the page by adding information.|
Oswin first appears with Hector.
Starting stats and growth rates
Promotion stat gains
Oswin is a Knight that joins in Chapter 12 in both Eliwood's and Hector's tales; he comes at a significantly higher level and with higher bases than most other units in the early-game, and will be the second-strongest unit after Marcus in his join chapter. Because of the high enemy density in The Blazing Blade Oswin is an excellent early-game tank, taking little to no damage against enemies unless they use effective weaponry, which is extremely rare. Besides his great bases, Oswin also has respectable growths in most areas. Oswin's luck is fairly low, but he is generally durable enough to take critical hits. Oswin's speed is also quite low, with a base of 5 and a 30% growth; however because of the low enemy quality in The Blazing Blade and his +3 speed upon promotion, Oswin will likely be able to double a fair number of enemies upon promotion.
Despite being an excellent unit in the early-game, Oswin's low movement and mediocre speed will make him a poor unit for the later chapters which emphasize high movement and the ability to one-round a high number of enemies; Oswin can be rescued by most mounted units, but it is simpler to use the mounted units themselves. Other units will likely catch up to or surpass Oswin stat-wise, accomplishing similar or greater combat results with higher movement. Additionally, the Valkyries in Cog of Destiny are fast enough to double Oswin, deal damage based on his poor resistance, and out-move him significantly.
Personality and character
Oswin is severe, composed, dutiful, and taciturn. His stoic attitude and focus on duty annoy Hector in their supports, as Hector is the opposite – emotional, reckless, and with a tendency to escape responsibility. Oswin is so unflappable that he hardly even minds being insulted by his lord, which annoys Hector even more. Oswin does respect Hector, and considers it an honor to serve as his retainer. While he does have some doubts about Hector's negative traits, he still has faith in his lord.
Oswin speaks little, and others often point out when he speaks more than usual. Oswin is not afraid to chastise his allies if their conduct is detrimental to Lord Hector or Ostia as a whole; he believes that his duty as a retainer to Lord Hector compels him to do so.
While Oswin tends to be critical of others, he does it for their benefit. He believes that selflessness is necessary if one wants to be a good retainer, and a good lord. He does not intend to harm others emotionally, but wants them to improve; when Serra breaks down in their A support, he states that his criticism was intended to make her a better person.
Oswin takes pride in being an Ostian knight and retainer. He states that he is "too proud to lie" in his supports with Priscilla, and tells her the truth about why her parents were killed. Oswin claims that he became an Ostian knight because he wanted to protect what he held dear. While Dorcas refuses his offer to join the Ostian knights, Oswin respects the choice, understanding that Dorcas is also protecting who he holds dear, Natalie, by not joining the knights.
- Main article: Oswin/Supports
Oswin, Impregnable Knight
Oswin served as a vassal to Marquess Ostia. His was a calm, reasonable voice in Lycia's ruling government.
Oswin and Serra
Oswin returned to Ostia, where his duties as minister to the new marquess kept him busy. Serra clung to him intensely, despite his protests. Finally, her innocent stubbornness won his heart and eased his weary mind.
|“||Lord Hector... I'm sorry, but... I must withdraw.||”|
— Oswin, in Blazing Sword.
|“||Mark. If the goal is to defend, knights are your best hope. We can use our thick armor to form a living shield. I await your orders, Mark.||”|
— In Chapter 15 of Hector's Tale.
|“||For the honor of the knights of Ostia.||”|
— In the final chapter.
Fire Emblem Cipher
Oswin is currently featured on two cards in Fire Emblem Cipher.
|Fire Emblem Cipher data for Oswin|
|Ostia's Armor General, Oswin|
|"We can use our thick armor to form a living shield."|
|Attack: 60||Support: 10||Range: 1||Deploy Cost: 4|
|Class: General||Tier: Advanced||Class Change Cost: 3|
|Knights of Ostia: [Always] While you control an ally with at least 100 attack, this unit gains +10 attack.|
Armor Expertise: [Always] If this unit is attacked by a non- unit, this unit gains +20 attack.
General's Escort: [Support] Until the end of this battle, your defending unit gains +10 attack and your opponent's attacking unit cannot perform a critical hit.
|Card #B07-026HN • Artist: Yoneko|
|Hector's Retainer, Oswin|
|"I cannot condone resorting to force so quickly..."|
|Attack: 30||Support: 10||Range: 1||Deploy Cost: 1|
|Class: Knight||Tier: Base||Class Change Cost: --|
|Armor Expertise: [Always] If this unit is attacked by a non- unit, this unit gains +20 attack.|
Defense Escort: [Support] Until the end of this combat, your defending unit gains +20 attack.
|Card #B07-027N • Artist: Yoneko|
|Some card information translation provided by Serenes Forest.|
For more detailed strategic information on these cards, see their TCG wiki article on Oswin .
Etymology and other languages
|Names, etymology and in other regions|
|Language||Name||Definition, etymology and notes|
An Old English name meaning "God's friend".
Officially romanised as Osin. Literally "Oswin".
- "Hector: You do bug me though, you know.
Oswin: Yes, of course.
Hector: Oswin! Why, you...
Oswin: Lord Hector, this is a battlefield. Focus on the battle." — Oswin and Hector, Fire Emblem: The Blazing Blade
- "When I was assigned to watch over you, Lord Hector, I feared that I might not be worthy of the job. But I realized something over the course of this journey. While your words and manners may be coarse at times, you are straight and true in character--like a good arrow. I thank Lord Uther for giving me the opportunity to serve you. So, believe me that it hasn't been a burden at all." — Oswin to Hector, Fire Emblem: The Blazing Blade
- "Hector may not walk the right path. The path of Eliwood may be the right one, but maybe our Hector can win people with his inventiveness. By not walking the clear path, he always forges new ones... In that, he has great skill." — Oswin to Matthew, Fire Emblem: The Blazing Blade
- "You would say so much, Oswin? What has come over you?" — Matthew to Oswin, Fire Emblem: The Blazing Blade
- "Lord Hector and Lord Eliwood are on the front line. If we, their retainers, do not help them, then what are we? Perhaps you convinced Hector to go easy on you last time? Not this time. Go to the front lines and do as you are told." — Oswin to Serra, Fire Emblem: The Blazing Blade
- "Oswin: Quiet, child. What you did was no more than expected.
Oswin: It is your duty to heal those who are hurt. And any evaluation of your own success is trivial.
Serra: What does that mean?
Oswin: Your words and actions are bad for morale. I ask you as a fellow Ostian, behave yourself.
Serra: Wh-What? Has someone been saying bad things about me? It's just jealousy, I tell you!
Oswin: I am the one saying these things.
Oswin: Your lack of control is harming others. From now on, exercise some discipline." — Oswin and Serra, Fire Emblem: The Blazing Blade
- "Always trying to take care of things on his own... That one needs to learn how to think about others!" — Oswin to Matthew, about Hector, Fire Emblem: The Blazing Blade
- "Serra: ...I want to talk to you, but... all you ever do is tell me everything I'm doing wrong... You don't like anything I do, right? So... So... ... ... ... ... ......sniff...
Oswin: How has it come to this? Perhaps I have been stern in the past. But I always had your interests in mind.
Serra: ...Sniff sniff... ......It's fine... It's my own fault for being so foolish. It's no wonder you all hate me so.
Oswin: ...Sigh... No one hates you...
Oswin: Our soldiers are all quite taken with you, in fact.
Oswin: Why, even the enemy soldiers seem smitten by your charms. That's why I asked you to lay low.
Serra: ...I thought... you hated me... But... maybe you really like me? Maybe that's why you're so mean?
Oswin: I did not intend to be mean." — Oswin and Serra, Fire Emblem: The Blazing Blade
- "Oswin: I am too proud to lie, m'lady. What would you ask?
Priscilla: Are the members of House Cornwell truly... thieves? Swear on your honor! Can there be no mistake?!
Oswin: ...Lady Priscilla. I wish I could refute it..." — Oswin and Priscilla, Fire Emblem: The Blazing Blade
- "Dorcas: Oswin... Why did you... become a knight?
Oswin: Why, to protect good Ostia in this armor, of course! This cold steel protects not only my body, you know. It also protects my lord and my people! I became a knight to act as the very wall that protects our families." — Oswin and Dorcas, Fire Emblem: The Blazing Blade
- "I understand... You are her knight then, my good man. That is our loss, but the choice you make is solid. Well then, shall we be going? For those protected ones we hold dear!" — Oswin to Dorcas, Fire Emblem: The Blazing Blade
|This article is part of Project Characters, a project focused in writing articles for every character present in the Fire Emblem series.|