Darkling Woods (location)
Darkling Woods (Japanese: 闇の樹海 Dark Forest) is a location in Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones and is located on the continent of Magvel. Darkling woods is not located within the borders of any country, though Carcino is to the west and Rausten is to the east of the forest.
Darkling Woods is the resting place of the Demon King's corpse. Legends say that his body is not actually dead, but waiting for the return of its soul. The Demon King's corpse rested within the Black Temple until it was destroyed in the events of Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones.
When the Demon King fell 803 years ago, his blood and flesh corrupted the earth and plants of the forest. This corruption is what creates countless hordes of monsters that arise from the region. There are no human settlements in the region, the only creatures that live there are monsters and a few manakete.
Darkling Woods, as its name suggests, consists mostly of thick forests. The region is incredibly dense in plant matter and there are many swamps. The area is also mountainous, with many cave systems where monsters, like gargoyles, manifest. The volcanic Mt. Neleras is also located within the borders of Darkling Woods.
The mountains on the Carcino border suggest that the forest is easier to enter from the coast or Rausten.
Characters from Darkling Woods
|Myrrh's adoptive father and a manakete. Fought the Demon king in the name of humanity 800 years ago.||The Sacred Stones|
|A young manakete, her parents were killed in the original conflict with the Demon King.||The Sacred Stones|
|The Demon King of ages past, his body was interred in the Black Temple while his soul was sealed within the Sacred Stone of Grado.||The Sacred Stones|
Etymology and other languages
|Names, etymology and in other regions|
|Language||Name||Definition, etymology and notes|
|Spanish||Bosque Oscuro||Dark Forest|
|French||Bois de Lombres||Forest of Shadows|
- "The group’s search for Lyon leads them to Mt. Neleras, in the heart of Darkling Woods." - Chapter narration, Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones
- "Legend says the Demon King’s corpse lies there still, not dead but dreaming. Dreaming of when the last stone is crushed, and he will rise from his bed of rocks and worms and return to the surface." - Chapter Narration, Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones
- "No, we’ve done far more than the legends ever told. We’ve destroyed the Demon King’s body. He can never come back." - Innes, Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones
- "According to legend. the original possessors of the Sacred Stones defeated the Demon King in Darkling Woods. His foul blood seeped into the land, corrupting every seed and every root. The once-pristine forest was transformed by the flood of disease and venom." - Chapter Narration, Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones
- "No… Those things come from Darkling Woods. It’s been a long time since they’ve wandered this far afield." - Saleh, Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones
- " Morva took me in and raised me as though I were his own child." - Myrrh, Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones
- "In the last great war… both of my true parents were killed." - Myrrh, Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones