From Fire Emblem Wiki, your source on Fire Emblem Wiki information. By Fans, for Fans.
Tyrfing (Japanese: ティルフィング Tyrhung), often referred to in dialogue as the sacred sword Tyrfing (Japanese: 聖剣ファルシオン holy sword Tyrhung), is a regalia sword introduced in Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War. It is the holy weapon once wielded by Baldr of the Twelve Crusaders, bestowed upon him at the Miracle of Darna after his blood-bond with a dragon. The blade is the property of Baldr's descendants, the heirs of Grannvale's House Chalphy, and can only be wielded by those in possession of major Baldr Holy Blood.
At the onset of Grannvale's war with Isaach, the then duke of Chalphy, Vylon, took the blade with him and used it in the war. It was broken after his betrayal by Reptor and Langobalt and, badly wounded, he nonetheless eluded capture to bring the weapon's remains to his son Sigurd, dying after handing it over. Sigurd had the remains repaired, then used the blade in his confrontation with Langobalt, Reptor and Andorey. After Sigurd's death in the Battle of Belhalla, his killer Lord Arvis took possession of Tyrfing, where it remained unused for seventeen years.
As Seliph's liberation army made its way through the Miletos district, Arvis arrived at Chalphy and entrusted the blade to its Bishop Palmarch, encouraging him to flee with children captured by the empire. Seliph's army soon rescued Palmarch's group as they fled to the north, and Palmarch passed Tyrfing on to Seliph, who then used it in the final confrontation with the Grannvale Empire and its Prince Julius.
In the main Fire Emblem series
In other Fire Emblem series titles
| Click "Expand" to view Tokyo Mirage Sessions ♯FE information
Genealogy of the Holy War
| SpotPass distribution
|| Available for download from August 30th, 2012JP/February 7th, 2013US/April 25, 2013EU onward.
|| Infinite Regalia, chosen at random from a pool of other items.
Fire Emblem Cipher
Tyrfing is present as two different skills on two cards in Fire Emblem Cipher:
- Sigurd (B06-001SR The Warrior of Light's Heir) possesses Sacred Sword Tyrfing, which enhances his power if his player currently has at least eight bond cards. If so, Sigurd gains a 10-point boost to his attack power, and if he attacks defeats the opponent's lord, two of the opponent's orbs are destroyed instead of one.
- Seliph (B08-051SR Savior of Light) possesses Radiant Tyrfing, which gives a boost of 10 points to the attack power of all of his allies during their turn if his player currently has at least three face-up Jugdral-affiliation bond card.
- Tyrfing's English name was leaked in the source code of the Awakening official website's page on SpotPass when it was updated on February 4, long before the sword itself was available in the game.
- Tyrfing bears a strong resemblance to Falchion in its design from Genealogy of the Holy War and Heroes (matching Falchion's original design).
Etymology and other languages
|Names, etymology and in other regions
|| Definition, etymology and notes
|| • Tyrfing
• Divine Tyrfing
| • From Tyrfing, a magic sword of Norse mythology; curiously, it is Balmung's mythological basis which has the connection with the mythological Sigurd, not Tyrfing.|
• Used for the unlocked version in Heroes.
|| • ティルフィング
| • Officially romanized as Tyrhung. This romanization appears to be in error; the katakana is more properly translated as "Tyrfing", as above.|
• Holy Sword Tyrfing; used for the unlocked version in Heroes. This is also a term used in dialogue in Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War, and it was also used in Seliph's description in Heroes (there translated as "sacred sword Tyrfing").
|| As above.
|| As above.
|| As above.
|| As above.