It has been requested that image(s) be placed in this page or section. Please submit images to help improve this page and talk on this page's talk page about what images are needed. Remove this when this has been fixed.
|“||ATTENTION, SHEPHERDS. THIS IS A SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT. *Click* *hiss* IS THIS EVEN WORKING?||”|
— The merchant
Summer Scramble (Japanese: 絆の夏 Summer of Bonds) is a downloadable content xenologue chapter in Fire Emblem Awakening. As a xenologue chapter, it does not officially bear a chapter number; if all xenologues are purchased and its list is viewed at the Outrealm Gate, Summer Scramble is the twentieth one from the top in the North American version of the game. Officially in Japan and unofficially in North America, Summer Scramble is part of the second series of DLC releases, a distinction that does not exist in the PAL regions.
This chapter was first made available on November 1, 2012 in Japan, May 2, 2013 in North America, and May 16-17 in the PAL regions.
In this chapter, the Shepherds find themselves at a beach resort, where they must beat back a bunch of brigands intent on invading the beach...while at the same time enjoying what the beach has to offer.
Chrom asks where the Shepherds are upon arriving at a new Outrealm, where a resident merchant reveals that the Shepherds finally made it and welcomes them to the Hotrealm, the Outrealms' hottest resort, and it's about time the Shepherds arrived--she was starting to worry; Chrom is about to ask what "Hotrealm" means, then changes course and tells the merchant they seem to have caught her changing outfits, asking the merchant finish changing first and then they can chat. Anna explains what a bikini is, and teases Chrom about his blushing.
The merchant then asks herself where her manners and offers to show the Shepherds to their cabana, to which Chrom expresses confustion and wonders if the merchant was expecting the Shepherds. The merchant states that she of course has been expecting the Shepherds, and becomes aghast when she realizes that the group had not received any of her free samples or invitations. The merchant and her sisters had planned out a vacation for the Shepherds, due to their heroics across the Outrealms.
One of the gimmicks for this tale, sorcerer units appearing in battle in swimsuits, is alluded to by the merchant when she mentions the sorcerer of the chapter have already changed into their swimsuits; teasing Chrom that he has yet to change into his special custom swimsuit, complete with the brand of Naga. Chrom is somewhat baffled that the brand is right on the buttocks of the swimsuit, but is interrupted by Frederick arriving to inform the group that the beach has been overrun by bandits. The merchant doesn't take Frederick seriously, contrasting Chrom's worry about the safety of the beach-goers, though even the bandits themselves seem to only be interested in hogging the beach.
Chrom decides the best course of action is to defeat and remove the beach-hogging bandits by force. Chrom and Frederick leave to prepare, while the merchant concocts schemes to make money off the event, including charging bystanders for watching. Battle preparations take place at this point.
Once preparations are finished, Chrom, thinking to himself, reflects on the beauty of the resort and appreciates the merchant's attempt at hospitality with free invitations. After this the merchant makes an announcement over a "Megaphone Tome" made by Anna, after Chrom expresses his confusion the merchant explans its many uses, including but not limited to finding lost children. She also mentions speaking into certain seashells if any of the Shepherds wish to speak to Anna from a distance. Finally, Anna actually explains her announcement, explaining that there was a popularity poll to determine the four most liked members of the Shepherds, two men and two women. This poll actually did occur in real life on the official Japanese Awakening website. The merchant states the men winners are Chrom and Gaius, with the women winners being Tharja and Cordelia. If any of those four are deployed by the player the merchant will gesture to the beach hut and instruct them to visit it for their prizes, custom swimsuits. The merchant finishes her announcement with a mention that the child characters will get their prizes another time. Chrom thinks about seeing what his prize is and the scene ends, beginning the battle.
The primary meat of this chapter stems in conversations between specific pairs of characters from the first generation; apart from pairs involving Robin and a special Chrom/Cordelia pairing, these pairs are all of the same gender. These conversations consist of two parts; the first part can be initiated any time, while the second part can be initiated from the third turn and onwards. Another feature of this chapte involves Chrom, Gaius, Cordelia, and Tharja each being able to wait at a specific spot near the beach hut, where a special scene involving that character will play out.
Once the battle ends, Chrom confirms the routing of the brigands with the others and the merchant thanks him. The merchant gives the shepherds the go-ahead to enjoy themselves for the renaming day, though there is little time as the sun is already setting.
After Chrom and the others go off to have their fun the merchant begins speculating her possible money schemes. She plans to sell photos of the scantily clothed Shepherds she took with a "Snapshot tome", and also considers using said pictures for a calendar. Surprising the merchant, Frederick arrives, and only asks where to find tinder to start a fire pit on the beach. After Frederick leaves the merchant weighs the risks against setting the resort on fire versus having pictures of Frederic in an act of pyromania, and decides to take the pictures. It's at this point she realizes that her Snapshot tome and the pictures she took are gone, she realizes, to her dismay, that she dropped her things and that the tome and pictures are floating away in the sea.
The scene ends with Frederick returning and stating his his full thanks to the merchant, while said merchant watches her money-making scheme float away, though she accepts the loss and acknowledges the day could have gone far worse. As the merchant says, she'll happily take the silver lining if she cannot have the gold.
Anna, the traveling merchant, has invited Chrom and his team to take a break on a secret beach as a token of gratitude for their help. However, just as they are about to relax on the beach, a group of bandits appears�c
North American eShop summary
This beach retreat gives units of the parents' generation a chance to talk to one another.
|Victory: Rout the enemy.||Ally||Other||Enemy|
|Defeat: Chrom or Robin die.||10||0||27+6|
|Difficulty rating: ★★
20 columns by 20 rows
North America: 42
PAL region: 47
Map phase music: "We should turn in for the night.", originating in the base game
Battle phase music: "Main Theme (Summer)", original to this chapter
Note: Due to known flaws in how the game's downloadable content system handles music, the game may fail to load the music assigned to this chapter. If this happens, the music normally assigned to skirmishes in the base game will take over.
United States: $3.00
United Kingdom: £2.29
New Zealand: $4.25
|Also available in: Scramble Pack|
United States: $6.50
United Kingdom: £5.39
New Zealand: $10.20
Note: The returning characters list represents the minimum characterbase recruitable by the point the player can first access the Outrealm Gate. If more chapters along the main story path are cleared, or if any paralogues are cleared, the player can have access to characters not listed here by the point the chapter is first started. As bonus units are recruitable at the player's discretion, the returning characters list does not list them either.
All Sorcerers on both sides of the conflict wear swimsuits in this chapter. Males wear swimming trunks, while females wear bikinis.
- Column 5, row 4: One square east, one square south of the easternmost player deployment position
- Column 1, row 8: Three squares south of the southwesternmost player deployment position
- Column 3, row 11: On the initial position of a Silver Axe Berserker
- Column 2, row 16: On a sea tile, five squares south of a Short Axe/Movement +1 Barbarian (requires a flying unit to reach)
- Column 9, row 15: One square west, one square south of a Short Axe/Movement +1 Barbarian
- Column 15, row 16: Adjacent to the southwestern corner of a 2×3 set of edifice tiles
- Column 18, row 14: Two squares west, one square south of the boss Assassin
- Column 18, row 11: On the initial position of a Silver Axe/Zeal Warrior
- Column 15, row 8: Three squares east of the initial position of a Silver Axe/Silver Bow Warrior
- Column 17, row 4: Two squares east, one square south of a Silver Sword/Pass Trickster
- Column 20, row 1: Northeasternmost square of the map
- Column 11, row 4: Two squares south, one square east of a Silver Sword/Lucky Seven/Pass Trickster
- Column 10, row 10: Two squares south, one square west of a Short Axe/Movement +1/Gamble Barbarian
- Column 8, row 11: On the initial position of a Silver Axe Warrior
- Column 13, row 11: On the initial position of a Silver Axe Berserker
Normal Hard Lunatic
This section has been marked as a stub. Please help improve the page by adding information.
- The North American release of this chapter censors Tharja's swimsuit scene by having a curtain obscure Tharja's lower extremities. Fan reaction ironically stated that this action actually made the image appear to be more risqué than the uncensored Japanese and PAL region version of the scene, as apart from a small slip of red which is covered by the text box after a moment, the curtain implies Tharja to be nude in that area.
- Although not known to western fans until later, the existence of the censored version of Tharja's swimsuit scene was first revealed to Japanese gamers in the June 2013-dated issue of Nintendo Dream magazine, first released on April 20, 2013, 12 days before the North American release of the chapter.
- Chrom, Gaius, Cordelia, and Tharja getting special swimsuit scenes and conversations with Robin to begin with are based on those characters winning a Japanese popularity poll held on the Fire Emblem Awakening Background website among first-generation characters.
- This chapter's Outrealm is one of two Outrealms to bear a specific name, in this case the Hotrealm. The other is the Bathrealm, the Outrealm of Hot-Spring Scramble.
- This chapter is one of three DLC chapters to include non-Risen generic enemy units (the others being Infinite Regalia and Apotheosis).
- This chapter is one of the only places where Cordelia's insecurity over her small breasts was not written out in the localization.
Etymology and other languages
|Names, etymology and in other regions|
|Language||Name||Definition, etymology and notes|
|Japanese||絆の夏||Summer of Bonds|
This section has been marked as a stub. Please help improve the page by adding information.
|← Harvest Scramble •||Summer Scramble||• Hot-Spring Scramble →|
|Fire Emblem Awakening|