Invisible Ties (premonition)
|This is it! Our final battle! You're one of us, Robin, and no "destiny" can change that. Now let's kill this dastard and be done with it!
— Chrom, urging Robin to defeat Validar once and for all
Invisible Ties (Japanese: 運命か、絆か Fate, or Bonds) is the premonition chapter in Fire Emblem Awakening. This chapter introduces two of the game's main characters as they take on a sorcerer. Basic mechanics are introduced in this chapter.
- Main article:
Invisible Ties (premonition)/Script
A nobleman named Chrom and his companion Robin are locked in fierce combat with a sorcerer named Validar. During a lull in the fight, Chrom reaffirms to Robin that s/he is one of "them" in spite of any destiny that says otherwise. The two eventually defeat Validar, and Chrom helps Robin recover and presumes victory. However, Robin's vision suddenly goes red, and s/he impales Chrom with a bolt of lightning. Chrom tells Robin that this was not their fault and begs them to flee before succumbing to his wound and dying, and Validar is heard laughing.
In a vision that feels neither real nor dreamed, Robin and Chrom defeat the mage Validar. But in the vision's last moments, events take an unexpected turn.
|Victory: Rout the enemy
|Defeat: Chrom or Robin dies
25 columns by 25 rows
This chapter features a barrier which prevents the use of any area of the map below row 9 regardless of column (this includes two special tiles on row 17 as detailed below).
The player will have access to two units in this chapter, Chrom and Robin. Both have setups used only in this chapter; they do not take on their default setups until the next chapter. The weapons used in this chapter are not retained afterward.
There are no items obtained in this chapter.
There is no shop in this chapter.
- Column 7, row 17: On a stairs tile within the left grouping of pillars.
- Column 19, row 17: On a stairs tile within the right grouping of pillars.
As a barrier prohibits the player from moving either Chrom or Robin onto or below row 10 regardless of column, these two event tiles are inaccessible to the player.
- Main article:
Robin and Chrom should pair up, with Robin being the support unit. Then, Chrom should attack Validar with the silver sword, which will ORKO Validar. Note that on Normal difficulty, you need to disable slide guides in the options menu in order to enable pairing up.
- This chapter is the only chapter in the game that does not have a designated location on the world map; as a result, this chapter is one of only two in the vanilla Awakening game whose map cannot host a skirmish (however, a later chapter uses the same map and can be used for skirmishes), the other being the final chapter, in the latter's case due to always being accessible once unlocked.
- This chapter is also one of two chapters in the vanilla Awakening game that does not have a shop associated with it, again the other being the final chapter.
- This chapter is the fourth initial chapter of a story in the Fire Emblem series whose boss is of an advanced class. The first three are chapter 1 of Gaiden, chapter 1 of Book 2 of Mystery of the Emblem, and prologue 1 of New Mystery of the Emblem; the prologue of Echoes: Shadows of Valentia would also go on to feature an advanced class boss.
- It is also the first initial chapter of a story in the series whose boss is a magic-oriented unit.
- This chapter's map was featured in Dark Clouds over Awakening, a Tempest Trials event in Fire Emblem Heroes.
Etymology and other languages
|Names, etymology, and in other regions
|Definition, etymology, and notes
Fate, or Bonds
Liens et destinée
Bonds and fate
|• The Verge of History →