|Warning: This wiki contains spoilers. Read at your own risk!|
Social media: Get in touch with Fire Emblem Wiki on !
- This article is about the NPC in Genealogy of the Holy War. For the playable character in Radiant Dawn, who once goes by Kurth as an alias, see Kurthnaga.
|“||Grannvale used to be a peace loving country, but things have changed. They've been sending troops to each and every nation with the intention of overthrowing them. Prince Kurth would never have allowed any of this if he were around.||”|
— A Silesse villager
Kurth (Japanese: クルト Kult) was a prince of Grannvale, and the son of King Azmur. A highly respected leader, Kurth began to assume many of Azmur's responsibilities as Grannvale's ruler as his father aged, with the assistance of his advisors, Vylon of House Chalphy and Ring of House Yngvi.
Around Grann 738-739, Kurth engaged in an extramarital affair with Cigyun, then the wife of Duke Victor of Velthomer. At first, Kurth merely sympathized with Cigyun's plight as the wife of a notorious philanderer and rapist, but soon the two fell in love, culminating with Kurth unknowingly impregnating Cigyun. Upon learning of Cigyun's affair with Kurth, Victor denounced Kurth and Cigyun, and killed himself; in response, Cigyun fled back to Verdane, later giving birth to Kurth's daughter Deirdre. Kurth never got over his time with Cigyun, never sought another relationship and never married, even though neglecting to reproduce (being unaware of Deirdre's existence) would end the lineage of the Belhalla dynasty.  In the subsequent years, he secretly worked to assist and support Arvis, the orphaned son of Cigyun and Victor.
In Grann 757, at the onset of the war with Isaach, Kurth personally led the Grannvale armies and dukes on the battlefield. The war ended with Grannvale's victory over Isaach; Isaach's King Mananan attempted to explain the reality of Isaach's role in the Darna assault to Kurth, but was assassinated before he could. En route back to Grannvale at the war's conclusion, Kurth was assassinated by Langobalt of House Dozel as part of Reptor's plan to seize control of Grannvale; the two framed Vylon for the crime.
This section has been marked as a stub. Please help improve the page by adding information.
- The character Kurthnaga in Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn derives his name from both Kurth himself and Naga, whose Holy Blood Kurth bears.
Etymology and other languages
|Names, etymology and in other regions|
|Language||Name||Definition, etymology and notes|
|English||Kurth||While he has never appeared or been explicitly named in any official English media, this is implied strongly by the Path of Radiance character Kurthnaga, whose name is a compound of that of Kurth and Naga; additionally, Kurthnaga is briefly called "Kurth" directly in Radiant Dawn.|
|Kurth||Used in the Genealogy of the Holy War fan translation.|
|Japanese||クルト||Officially romanized as Kult.|
Kurth's portrait in Genealogy of the Holy War.
- "In light of of King Azmur’s advanced age, the governance of Grannvale falls to his son, the highly respected Prince Kurth. Kurth has two trusted advisors assisting in his rule: Lord Vylon of House Chalphy, and Lord Ring of House Yngvi." — Opening narration of the Prologue, Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War
- "Filat: Er... Well, only a select few at the Royal Court know this but... It seems His Highness is having problems letting go of a love from his past.
Sigurd: Really? Any reason the two never married?
Filat: Oh, I may as well tell you the whole story. This all took place nearly 20 years ago. The lovely duchess of Velthomer, a married woman mind you, fell for the prince. Now the duke of Velthomer was a reputed womaniser and had several lovers. The prince, however, was a straight arrow. Initially, the prince merely sympathised with the duchess, but then one day the two fell deeply in love. Now the duke lost his head. After writing a letter denouncing the two, he committed suicide. The duchess, clearly perplexed, disappeared without a trace. I believe her name was Cigyun." — Filat and Sigurd, Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War
- "There was a member of the Velthomer family who became the new leader, but Arvis himself had what can be called a 'gift of Kings', and held a talent and toughness/strength which was hard to believe it could come from a child, and maintained the stature as Velthomer's leader. In fact, the person who supported him from the shadows was Belhalla's Price Kurth, but Arvis only learned this fact a long time later." - Designers' notes from Fire Emblem: Treasure, as translated by Serenes Forest
- A family tree in Fire Emblem: Treasure (scan by Serenes Forest)
|This article is part of Project Characters, a project focused in writing articles for every character present in the Fire Emblem series.|