|“||Odious freak...He has no honor. Just the sight of him makes me sick. He is the worm, yet I'm the one left squirming...Bah. ...True, his interference may seal our victory...but he'll never hear me say it.||”|
— Pheros, giving her honest opinion about Excellus
Excellus (Japanese: エクセライ Exceli) is a Valmese general, tactician to Walhart, and a mini-boss of chapter 20 of Fire Emblem Awakening. Excellus is responsible for blackmailing Yen'fay toward Walhart's side, and, according to Walhart himself, has connections to the Grimleal; in conjunction with Aversa of Plegia, Excellus schemed to take the Fire Emblem from Chrom.
Excellus is first spotted arriving where some of Say'ri's resistance had arrived during the battle at Fort Steiger, revealing that numbers of the resistance had turned to Walhart's side. Excellus is later seen talking strategy with Pheros and Yen'fay during each of their battles against Chrom and the Shepherds. Excellus eventually returns to Valm Castle and joins up with Cervantes and later Walhart to make a last stand against the Shepherds, in Excellus's case facing them for the first time, only to be defeated.
Fighting Excellus is optional; his defeat is not required in order to clear chapter 20.
Enemy, Ch. 20 NM Enemy, Ch. 20 HM Enemy, Ch. 20 LM
This section has been marked as a stub. Please help improve the page by adding information.
Personality and character
Excellus appears to hold no reservations with using underhanded tactics; he convinced some of the Valmese rebels to betray Say'ri with unspecified horrors in addition to manipulating Yen'fay with promises of allowing Say'ri to live. He also seems to have held loyalty only to himself, and none to Walhart; near the end of the war with Ylisse he was already scheming with Aversa over obtaining the Fire Emblem and hoping for Walhart to charge recklessly to his death.
Excellus was also particularly cowardly, and avoided confronting the Ylisseans in direct combat until Walhart forcibly promoted him to captain of the castle guard, a position which he was clearly not eager to obtain.
|“||You think I'm afraid? Of YOU? Come, then. COME AT ME!||”|
|“||Eee hee hee...Eee hee...Heeeeeeeauuugh...||”|
- Excellus shares his English voice actor, Spike Spencer, with Marth. This also makes Spike Spencer the only English-language Awakening voice actor to have been involved in an earlier Fire Emblem project; in terms of all languages, he shares this distinction with Takehito Koyasu, who voiced Navarre in the Fire Emblem: Mystery of the Emblem OVA and Lon'qu in the Japanese version of Awakening.
- Excellus is also the only character in Awakening whose English voice actor is directly credited while his Japanese voice actor is not.
Etymology and other languages
|Names, etymology and in other regions|
|Language||Name||Definition, etymology and notes|
Excellus's portrait in Awakening.
- "Excellus: Oh, did Yen'fay not groan out the truth as you cut him to bloody pieces? No, I suppose not. He always was so quiet. And proud...honorable, I think they call it? Yet he swallowed his pride and cast aside his honor...all to protect his beloved kin. That's right, Little Sis. He did it...to save you.
Say'ri: What?! ...Lies... You're lying!
Excellus: No, I'm telling the truth, which I admit is a rare treat, so you best shut up and enjoy it." — Excellus to Say'ri, Fire Emblem Awakening
- "Let Walhart charge ahead—the big, stupid lobster... I'll end up on the winning side one way or another! Whee hee hee hee!" — Excellus, Fire Emblem Awakening
- "Walhart: ...Why, Excellus, did you just volunteer to lead my personal guard against the rebels?
Excellus: ...What?! No, that's—" — Excellus and Walhart, Fire Emblem Awakening
|Tokyo Mirage Sessions ♯FE|