||My brother believed to the last that Isaach’s hope for the future rests in Shanan, his son.
— Ayra, on Mariccle
(Japanese: マリクル Mariccle) was a crown prince of Isaach, the second child of King Mananan and the father of Shanan. He died in battle during the Grannvale war against Isaach.
During his life, Mariccle - like his father - was an acquaintance of King Calf of Leonster, who held him in the utmost respect. Following his father's retribution to House Rivough for instigating the war, Mariccle remained behind with the army while his father sought to negotiate the truth of the matter with Grannvale, and when word reached him of Mananan's assassination at the Grannvale front, he led the army to seek vengeance against Grannvale. Knowing his demise in battle against Grannvale would be inevitable, Mariccle entrusted the care of his young son Shanan to his younger sister, Ayra, with the hope that Shanan's survival would ensure that one day Isaach would rise again from the Grannvale conquest. Mariccle wielded Balmung in his attempts to fight Grannvale, and after his death it eventually entered the custody of the Loptyrian Order, held in their treasury in the Yied Shrine.
- Mariccle bears an extremely strong physical resemblance to both Shanan and to Od, their mutual ancestor.
Etymology and other languages
|Names, etymology and in other regions
||Definition, etymology and notes
||Used in the Genealogy of the Holy War fan translation.
||Officially romanized as Mariccle. Possibly from Manannán mac Lir, a sea deity in Irish mythology; "Mariccle" may be a corruption of his surname, mac Lir, while Mariccle's father derives his name from the deity's first name.
- ↑ "Ayra: Wait, Quan, did you actually know my father?!
Quan: Not in person, sadly. However, my father knows him well. He’s always had only the utmost praise for him. He also speaks fondly of your brother, Prince Mariccle. He’s always said he is a fine young man and heir.
Ayra: Really... Thank you. I’m so proud to hear such praise for them. The two were great and wise warriors. Attacking the defenseless, as in Darna, is something neither would ever do." — Ayra and Quan, Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War
- ↑ "Ayra: So too thought my father. Once he executed the lord of Rivough, he departed for the Grannvale front, head in tow, to negotiate with them. But...
Ayra: My father, the king... He was assassinated en route. Once word of this returned to Isaach, the people were utterly incensed. Mariccle set out, leading our entire army, seeking vengeance against Grannvale." — Ayra and Quan, Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War
- ↑ "Sigurd: Very well. Shanan informs me that you are the daughter of the King of Isaach. He says you would be hostile towards us, Grannvale soldiers, which is clearly so. That said, think about it. You’ve a young prince you are sworn to defend. Can you truly afford to waste your life here and now, of all places.
Ayra: My brother, the crown prince, entrusted Shanan to my care, knowing his death was inevitable. You’re right. After all this time, I refuse to die for Verdane’s sake. Until I’ve seen Shanan rise to the Isaach throne, my life is not mine to forfeit to such dogs." — Sigurd and Ayra, Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War
- ↑ A family tree in Fire Emblem: Treasure (scan by Serenes Forest)
||This article is part of Project Characters, a project focused in writing articles for every character present in the Fire Emblem series.