- For the sword known as Alondite in Japanese, see Ettard.
|Artwork of Alondite from Path of Radiance.|
A mystic blade blessed by the goddess Ashera. It can attack from near and far.
Alondite (Japanese: エタルド Ettard) is a regalia sword introduced in Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance. It is one of the national treasures of the Begnion Empire, once wielded by the beorc heroine Altina alongside its sister blade Ragnell. It was blessed by the Goddess of Order Ashera, granting it immense power and rendering it invulnerable. In addition to its sheer power, the blade can be used to sling powerful shockwaves to attack from afar.
Along with Ragnell, the newly-blessed Alondite was bestowed upon Altina of the Three Heroes of Tellius, for use in combating the Chaos Goddess Yune, in the antiquity of Tellius. Following Yune's imprisonment within the Fire Emblem, Alondite and Ragnell became national treasures of Begnion, the kingdom founded and first ruled by Altina.
In the modern Tellius era, Alondite was famously used by the Black Knight, having presumably been granted to him by his master Sephiran when he entered his service. The Black Knight kept Alondite as his only weapon for the rest of his life, using it most notably to kill Greil and in his duels with Ike. After his final defeat and death at Ike's hands, Alondite began to glow, which Yune believed was the twin swords calling to each other, and Ike adopted it for use by his army against Ashera.
In the main Fire Emblem series
In other Fire Emblem series titles
- For information pertaining to Alondite's contribution to Altina's personal skill, a fusion of this weapon with Ragnell, see Ragnell•Alondite.
Path of Radiance
||Part 4: Endgame-2, closing cutscene after the Black Knight's death.
Super Smash Bros. series
In Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS and Wii U and Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, Alondite appears as part of the Black Knight costume available for Mii Swordfighters as paid downloadable content, as the weapon they wield when they wear the "Black Knight's Armor" outfit. Alondite is simply a cosmetic skin for the Mii Swordfighter's usual sword and does nothing different.
Additionally, in both Super Smash Bros. Brawl and for Wii U, Alondite is part of the Black Knight's trophies in those games.
Fire Emblem Cipher
Alondite is present as a skill on one of the Black Knight's cards in Fire Emblem Cipher: B03-047SR Demon General of the Blessed Armor, Black Knight. It is a manual-activation skill which, for a cost of flipping 2 bond cards, increases the Black Knight's range to 1-2 and gives them +20 attack power until the end of the turn. Additionally, if the Black Knight attacks and defeats the opponent's lord while Alondite is active, then the opponent loses two orbs rather than the usual one.
- In international releases of the Tellius games, Alondite had its name swapped with another weapon: Ettard. This confusion likely arose from the Japanese version of Path of Radiance, where the sword—despite being called "Ettard" everywhere in the game—was assigned the internal file name of "ALONDITE". This is likely why the English localization of Path of Radiance renamed the sword in the first place. When Radiant Dawn was released in Japan, it introduced Ike's new personal sword as "Alondite", requiring that it be changed in localization since there was already an "Alondite" in English. Fittingly, it was localized as "Ettard", the original name of Alondite.
Etymology and other languages
|Names, etymology and in other regions
||Definition, etymology and notes
||Corruption of Arondight. Ostensibly derived from Arthurian mythology, where it is alleged that Arondight (alternatively spelled Aroundight) was the name of Sir Lancelot's sword. However, this appears to be an apocryphal invention with no actual presence in the original forms of the cycle, and is believed to instead originate from the fourteenth-century poem Beves of Hamtoun.
||Romanized as Ettard in the internal data of Radiant Dawn. In Arthurian mythology, Ettard (alternatively spelled Ettarre) was a maiden who spurned the romantic advances of Sir Pelleas.|
In Path of Radiance, its internal file name was ALONDITE, as above.
- ↑ "Yune: The swords are calling to each other... The holy sword Alondite... It's the counterpart to your sword, Ragnell. I think it wants you to take it up.
Ike: Alondite... The sword that took my father's life." — Yune and Ike, Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn
- ↑ Kiyo, Aroundight, Lost & Found Chest from the Fantastical World, Published: 2012-01-04, Retrieved: 2015-03-28
- ↑ Ettard, Arthurian Infopedia, Published: 2007-09-20, Retrieved: 2015-03-28