||Across the mountains lies a barren land called the Mamorthod Desert. There you'll find the ruins of an ancient capital called Thabes. Long ago, Thabes was a city so massive as to defy belief. But time worked its cruel magic, and now half the city lies buried in sand.
— Furia Harbor resident
Thabes (Japanese: テーベ Thebes), nicknamed the "city of illusion", is an abandoned city located in the northern reaches of the Mamorthod Desert, which itself is located within Anri's Way. It has not housed a population for a very long time, though there are many lost treasures and technologies within its sand-filled halls.
It is home to Thabes Labyrinth, which is plundered by explorers and treasure-hunters alike, to varying success.
It is unknown if Thabes has any connections to Khadein, another city of scholars and mages located in the sands south of Thabes.
Ages before the War of Shadows Thabes was an advanced city filled with marvelous technologies and scholars. Eventually the city came to be abandoned, though little of Thabes' history is known.
It is known to have been run by a Senate as well as a vaguely defined Council. At some point in the past an alchemist named Forneus studied in Thabes. The Senate apparently had a great deal of resources; they were able to obtain divine dragon blood for Forneus's experiments. Forneus eventually began to defy the Senate and was sealed in his workshop in Thabes Labyrinth. At a presumably later point, Duma and his army, against Naga's wishes, marched on Thabes and destroyed it; he felt that the humans had gained too much power there. This was the catalyst for Duma's exile.
Ages later, the downfall of Thabes came to be blamed on the greed of its inhabitants, though Duma's direct attack on it is only mentioned in the Book of Valentian Revelations, and doesn't appear to be common knowledge among the people of the realm.
Additionally, it is said that the divine dragon ruler Naga died at Thabes.
Around the War of Shadows and its aftermath
During the War of Shadows a temple within Thabes was the hideout of Gharnef and his magical apparatus. Marth journeyed to Thabes on his quest to reclaim Falchion from Gharnef. Marth would, some years later, draw near to Thabes again during the War of Heroes in search of the Lightsphere.
In the time between the wars Alm and Celica visited Thabes after escorting an Archanean merchant from across the ocean from Valentia. Alm and Celica later descended into its Labyrinth; they themselves unsure as to why. They managed to make their way down to Forneus's workshop, breaking the weakening seal on it in the process, and found his projects, the death masks as well as the Creation.
Notable locations in Thabes
Tower of Thabes
The Tower of Thabes is a tower built above the Temple of Thabes. It served as Gharnef's hideout and the location of his magical apparatus and the source of his power during the War of Shadows.
- Main article: Thabes Labyrinth
Thabes Labyrinth, as its name suggests, is a sprawling Labyrinth located below the city. Forneus's workshop is located within.
Characters from Thabes
Etymology and other languages
|Names, etymology and in other regions
||Definition, etymology and notes
||Derived from Thebes; as below.
||Thebes was the name of an ancient city in Egypt. It is presumably named after the Egyptian Thebes, which was the capital of Egypt for a time and was home to the wealthy. Cities known by the name Thebes have existed elswhere, though the Egyptian Thebes appears to be what the name was derived from.
||Thebes; Used in Fates and Echoes: Shadows of Valentia, among the choices for the player's country in their profile card.
The Mamorthod Desert, with the Tower of Thabes visible in the distance.
- ↑ "Folks ’round here sell treasure what to make ends meet. Much plunder from the ruins of Thabes goes toward that end. Those ruins draw explorers from across Archanea looking to strike their claim, but more than a few perish for their trouble. Such is the price of greed." — male villager, Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia
- ↑ "We senators sent forth messengers to Forneus. None returned." — message left by the Thabean Senate in Thabes Labyrinth, Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia
- ↑ "Next, the Council dispatched soldiers. Still none returned." — message left by the Thabean Senate in Thabes Labyrinth, Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia
- ↑ "At last, blood from a divine dragon! Its power is terrifying. Beautiful. The Senate has granted me all I need to craft life anew. I've succeeded." — message left by Forneus, Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia
- ↑ "An ancient fallen capital, its people drowned in their own magic power... This place has slumbered for centuries as a result of their greed." — Celica commenting on Thabes upon entering the Labrynth, Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia
- ↑ "Naga seals the sword and the holy jewels’ shield carved from his own fang, at the Fane of Raman, and dies at Thabes." — Vincent ASM, Timelines, Serenesforest.net
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 "Malledus: Sire, we've pinpointed where Gharnef is keeping the magical apparatus that gives him his power.
Malledus: The Tower of Thabes atop this very temple.
Marth: Then we don't need to fight Gharnef...If we find those apparatus.
Malledus: Gharnef’s power- a great deal of power- will be sealed forever.
Marth: Then let's hurry and seize the entrance to the tower!" — Malledus to Marth, Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon
- ↑ "Seeking the Lightsphere, Marth and his friends headed for the Tower of Thabes." — narration, Fire Emblem: New Mystery of the Emblem
- ↑ "Now we disturb its rest...for what? What lies waiting for us deeper in?" — Alm, Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia
- ↑ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thebes,_Egypt