| When adding content from Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia, particularly story information, please make sure your contributions are properly referenced.|
Unverified content may be deleted.
Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia
Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia (Japanese: ファイアーエムブレム Echoes もうひとりの英雄王 Fire Emblem Echoes: Another Hero-King) is an upcoming turn-based strategy role-playing game for the Nintendo 3DS system. It is a remake of the NES title Fire Emblem Gaiden, the second game in the Fire Emblem series.
As a remake of Fire Emblem Gaiden, Echoes: Shadows of Valentia recounts the general story of Gaiden. The remake expands the script and roles of characters significantly.
Like the original, it is set in Valentia in the centuries after the clash between the sibling gods, Mila and Duma. After swearing to go their separate ways, the gods created their own kingdoms: Duma's harsh and militaristic nation of Rigel in the north, and Mila's hedonistic kingdom of Zofia in the south. The game follows Alm and Celica, a pair of childhood friends, as they conduct separate campaigns during a time of crisis in Valentia.
Although the game's engine appears to be based off of those of Fire Emblem Awakening and Fates, Shadows of Valentia is set to be a departure from the gameplay of both games as official materials emphasize that many of the elements that made Gaiden a unique title will be returning. Specifically mentioned are: free-roaming world map, dungeons, and flexible character progression.
Pre-release screenshots have also indicated that the magic stat is completely absent, like the original game. Other new features include the world map now featuring the passage of time, represented as a date. This is similar to the original Gaiden's world map having a turn count. The new Mila's Turnwheel artifact allows players to undo mistakes by rewinding their actions. Units can also learn abilities from their equipped weapons by using that weapon often. The game also has amiibo compatibility similar to Fire Emblem Fates, though the allies summoned from amiibo in Echoes: Shadows of Valentia are not permanent members of the party and vanish after one turn.
The entire playable cast of Gaiden returns for the remake, with the addition of two brand new playable characters, Faye, for Alm's party, and Conrad, for Celica's party. This brings the total playable roster to 34 characters in Echoes: Shadows of Valentia.
Echoes: Shadows of Valentia introduces an additional prologue and a postgame chapter to the original game's five chapters.
Support and Base Conversations
Echoes: Shadows of Valentia introduces both base and support conversations to the game, neither of which existed in Gaiden. These conversations expand on the existing cast. Additionally, Memory Fragments, when combined with Mila's Turnwheel, provide further character interactions, though these take place in the past rather than the present.
Echoes: Shadows of Valentia was revealed in the Fire Emblem Direct alongside Fire Emblem Heroes on the 18th of January 2017 at 2PM PT/5PM ET. During the direct gameplay footage, animated cutscenes, and character artwork of Alm and Celica were shown.
In Japan, Echoes: Shadows of Valentia will also be available in two special editions: the more basic Limited Edition contains the game, a soundtrack CD, a download code for early downloadable content, and a TCG Fire Emblem 0 (Cipher) card featuring Alm. The Valentia Complete edition includes all of the Limited Edition's contents, as well as another Cipher card featuring Celica, a copy of the Valentia Artbook, a collection of concept art from the game, and a Blu-Ray copy of the Fire Emblem HD Movie Collection, featuring high-definition cutscenes from Echoes: Shadows of Valentia itself, Radiant Dawn, Awakening, and Fates.
Outside of Japan, the game has received one Limited Edition, featuring the game itself, the Valentia art book, a reversible cover featuring the original Fire Emblem Gaiden artwork, a pixel art pin set, and a sound selection CD. The international Limited Edition unfortunately does not include the Fire Emblem HD Movie Collection, DLC codes, or trading cards from the Japanese Editions. Though the pixel art pin set is exclusive to international Limited Editions. Additionally, the European Limited Edition comes bundled with one Alm amiibo and one Celica amiibo.
Echoes: Shadows of Valentia will be the first title in the Fire Emblem series to be localized for Chinese markets, featuring both Traditional and Simplified Chinese versions of the script. The announcement of the Chinese version, released on February 12th 2017, also confirmed that the spinoff Fire Emblem Warriors would receive Chinese localizations. This follows the introduction of the Fire Emblem series to the South Korean market with Fates.
On April 4th 2017 the Japanese version of Echoes: Shadows of Valentia leaked on the internet, sixteen days before its official Japanese release.
- Echoes: Shadows of Valentia is currently scheduled to have the shortest wait between Japanese and international release of a mainline Fire Emblem series title yet, with English-speaking fans having to wait a mere 29 days after the Japanese release. The most quickly localized game previously was Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon, whose first international version to be released, the PAL localization, was released five months after the Japanese version.
- For April Fools' 2017, a new game called "Fire Emblem: Battle of Revolution" (Japanese: ファイアーエムブレム 維新大乱) was announced, for the Nintendo Switch and Nintendo 3DS. It prominently features Valbar, Kamui, and Leon. It takes place in the Edo period of Japan. Some text on the website is in traditional vertical writing, and all character and location names were written in kanji with the katakana names as furigana. DLC featuring Marth in was also announced for "Battle of Revolution". There would also be scrolls as a limited bonus. It was stated to be released on April 20, 2017, the same date as Shadows of Valentia.
Etymology and other languages
|Names, etymology and in other regions|
|Language||Name||Definition, etymology and notes|
|English||Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia||Valentia is the name of the continent the game is set on. An echo is a repeated sound, possibly referring to its remake status.|
|Japanese||ファイアーエムブレム Echoes もうひとりの英雄王|| Fire Emblem Echoes: Another Hero-King |
The term "Hero-King" is used to refer to Marth in Fire Emblem: New Mystery of the Emblem: Heroes of Light and Shadow and Fire Emblem Awakening, the significance of this is currently unknown, but appears to be drawing parallels between Alm and Marth.
|Spanish||Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia||--|
|French||Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia||--|
|German||Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia||--|
|Italian||Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia||--|
|Chinese||Fire Emblem Echoes 另一位英雄王||Fire Emblem Echoes: Another Hero-King|
- "In 1992, the second game in the Fire Emblem series, Fire Emblem Gaiden, launched exclusively in Japan. Now, for the first time, fans outside of Japan will get a taste of this classic game on the Nintendo 3DS family of systems. Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia is inspired by the 1992 original, reimagined on a grander scale." — Nintendo, Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia, nintendo.com(webpage), Published: January 18th 2017, Retrieved: January 19th 2017
- "Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia recreates classic Fire Emblem gameplay with a modern twist, mixing in exploration of dungeons crawling with enemies." — Nintendo, Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia, nintendo.com(webpage), Published: January 18th 2017, Retrieved: January 19th 2017
- "Every aspect of the Fire Emblem Gaiden game's presentation has been updated, along with the game being fully voiced." — Nintendo, Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia, nintendo.com(webpage), Published: January 18th 2017, Retrieved: January 19th 2017
- VincentASM, Fire Emblem Echoes Trailer Info + Analysis, Serenes Forest, Published: 2017-1-18, Retrieved: 2017-2-13
- "*Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia Limited Edition Includes:
- Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia Game
- A Hardcover Valentia Artbook
- Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia Sound Selection CD
- Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia Pin Set depicting characters Alm, Celica and Marth
- Reversible cover sheet that looks like the packaging for the original Famicom game this new one is based on"
- VincentASM, Fire Emblem Echoes and Warriors Receiving Official Chinese Translations, Serenes Forest, Published: 2017-02-13
- ファイアーエムブレム 維新大乱 | 任天堂, Wayback Machine (archived from Nintendo.co.jp on 31 March), Retrieved: 2 April 2017
- Fire Emblem™ Echoes: Shadows of Valentia for Nintendo 3DS – Official Site official US English website
- Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia for Nintendo 3DS - Nintendo Game Details official US English product page
- Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia|Nintendo 3DS|Games|Nintendo official UK English website
- Fire Emblem Echoes: Another Hero-King official Japanese website
|Fire Emblem series|