|“||The Mother is either telling you what could be...or what once was. Her power is sight.||”|
Mila's Turnwheel (Japanese: ミラの歯車 Mila's Gear) is the name of two artifacts associated with the goddess Mila appearing in Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia. It has several gameplay functions, being related to amiibo support and the limited ability to rewind turns in battle to undo unit actions.
Two Turnwheels are known to exist. Before the events of the game both were stored at the temple on Novis.
Eventually, Silque sets out from Novis to deliver one of them to Mycen, but is waylaid and whisked away to the Thieves' Shrine by a pack of bandits. She gives it to Alm, the eventual intended recipient, after being rescued by him and learning that he has already set out on his journey with the Deliverance. If Alm never rescued Silque he will instead receive it from a deliveryman at Zofia Castle. The second remained at the priory on Novis after Silque's departure; Celica brings it with her at the start of her journey.
After Alm and Celica are reunited during Act 5, two Turnwheels are used to unlock the final door at Duma's Altar.
Mila's Turnwheel can be used to rewind turns and undo actions that have proven detrimental to the player. This can even be used to save characters that have died in classic mode due to tactical error. The Turnwheel can be used to rewind time to any point during a battle, including midway through a turn; it may even be used to rewind a battle to its beginning, if the player wishes. The Turnwheel may only be used a limited number of times in each battle or dungeon; it may initially be used only three times, but this number can be increased by finding Cogs, up to a maximum of 12 uses. Once an action is undone, it cannot be redone using the Turnwheel.
The Turnwheel may only record a limited number of actions in each battle; after this limit is exceeded, the Turnwheel can no longer be used during that battle. The player will be notified shortly before this happens, by a message stating that "the Turnwheel made a sound".
For battles on the world map, Turnwheel uses will refresh after every battle. Inside dungeons, Turnwheel uses will be refreshed after exiting the dungeon, or by offering an alcoholic provision at a Mila Shrine.
- Main article: Mila's Turnwheel/Memory Prisms
Items called Memory Prisms can be found throughout the game. Using Mila's Turnwheel, these fragments can be seen; they show past experiences of characters and expand on their lives before joining Alm and Celica. These fragments can also be from the distant past, with one prism, for example, being Mila and Duma's memories of the forging of their accord.
There are a total of ten memories to find throughout the game, featuring the memories of playable characters, NPCs, and even some antagonists.
Mila's Turnwheel can be used to view any support conversation the player has previously unlocked.
While on the world map, Mila's Turnwheel can be used to access the Mila's Ordeals and Duma's Ordeals dungeons, if the player owns the Celica and Alm amiibo respectively. It may also write Alm and Celica's current stats to their respective amiibo, and during battle, these amiibo may be used to summon ghostly versions of their respective characters to battle for a single turn.
Mila's Turnwheel can be used to summon temporary allies from amiibo figurines to aid in combat for one turn, at the cost of some of Alm or Celica's HP. These ghostly warriors are fleeting, only appearing for a single turn. The Marth, Robin, Lucina, Roy, Ike, and both the standard and "Player 2" versions of the Corrin amiibo all summon illusory heroes in that character's likeness. Other amiibo are compatible with this feature as well, however amiibo without custom summoned phantoms summon an allied monster instead.
|Game||Icon||Uses||Worth||Effects and notes|
|Echoes: Shadows of Valentia
|--||--||Allows Alm's party access to the Mila's Turnwheel features detailed above|
|Echoes: Shadows of Valentia
|--||--||Allows Celica's party access to the Mila's Turnwheel features detailed above|
Echoes: Shadows of Valentia
|Alm's party||Received from Silque at the Thieves' Shrine.|
Automatically from the start of Act 3 if not received from Silque.
|Celica's party||Automatically from the start of Act 2.|
Etymology and other languages
|Names, etymology and in other regions|
|Language||Name||Definition, etymology and notes|
|Spanish||Rueda de Mila||Mila's Wheel|
|French||Horloge de Mila||Mila's Clock|
|German||Milas Zeitenrad||Mila's time wheel|
|Italian||Ruota di Mila||Mila's Wheel|
|Dutch||Mila's Wiel||Mila's Wheel|
- "We haven't heard from you since you left the priory on Novis. We were all worried sick." — Celica to Silque if Silque was not rescued by Alm, Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia
- "I'm a traveling peddler of sorts. Bit'o this and a scrap'a that. Occasionally, I even do deliveries! ...Here. This is from a lady of the cloth. "Mila's Turnwheel," she called it. Looks mighty fancy, so it does! That's all I know, so you'll have to figure out the rest on your lonesome. And with that...another job well done! Safe travels now, eh?" — Traveling deliveryman to Alm, Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia
- "In Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia, players can use Mila’s Turnwheel to rewind the player’s last few turns, giving them a chance to reverse tactical errors and reconsider their next strategic move." — Nintendo, The fate of Valentia is in your hands in Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia, coming to Nintendo 3DS family systems on May 19th | News | Nintendo, nintendo.co.uk(webpage), Published: March 21st, 2017, Retrieved: March 27th, 2017
- "Fire Emblem amiibo characters from the Super Smash Bros. series can be used to summon an illusory hero of that character during battle. And other compatible amiibo can be used to summon an additional monster ally to fight alongside you for one turn." — Nintendo, Fire Emblem™ Echoes: Shadows of Valentia for Nintendo 3DS – Official Site, http://fireemblemechoes.nintendo.com/(webpage), Retrieved: March 27th, 2017
- Divine Pulse, a similar turn-rewinding mechanic
|Items in Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia|