||Crimeans, please... Forgive us... We cannot allow our brothers to die.
Tomenami (Japanese: トメナミ Tomenami) is a Daein clergyman who serves as the bishop of the Palmeni Shrine. During the Mad King's War, he was held hostage by the Daein mercenary Schaeffer and forced to fight Ike and the Crimean army.
Tomenami is an enemy in Chapter 22. He is one of seventeen enemy priests on the map, and like the others, sparing him is a secondary goal of this chapter. For each priest (including Tomenami) who is still alive when Schaeffer is defeated, the player receives a small amount of bonus experience, and if all seventeen survive the chapter, Tomenami will reward the player with the Ashera Staff in the closing cutscene. However, saving all of them is complicated by how Tomenami and the other Bishops among the priests will attack the player's units in the enemy phase.
Personality and character
Tomenami does not support the Mad King's War or the actions of King Ashnard against Crimea, and was grateful to the goddess to hear that Elincia was still alive. One of his subordinates remarked that even in death, Tomenami would be grateful to Ike and the Crimean army for saving his fellow priests even if he himself was not among them. He is nervous and easily intimidated, which very quickly revealed to Ike that he was leading them into Schaffer's trap. He considered both his own imminent demise and that of Schaeffer to be the will of the goddess and punishment for betraying her through Daein's crimes.
- Tomenami is the only unit in Path of Radiance with a unique name and portrait who has neither an affinity nor a unique palette in his battle animations. Unusually, even internal names mostly treat him like a glorified generic unit: his portrait is only labeled "BISHOP" and his name is labeled "MPID_MAP23_BISHOP2", and only his death quote is labeled "TOMENAMI".
Etymology and other languages
|Names, etymology and in other regions
||Definition, etymology and notes
||Romanized as TOMENAMI in the internal file name of his death quote.
- ↑ "Tomenami: Thank you very much. I never imagined that we would be rescued by soldiers of an enemy nation.
Ike: There was no way we'd cut down innocent priests being forced to fight against their wills.
Elincia: Father, we bear no ill will toward the kingdom of Daein itself. We wish only to reclaim the homeland which was unjustly taken from us. That is the reason we fight. We had no desire to invade this land. If nothing else, please believe that.
Tomenami: I beg your pardon. May I have the favor of your name?
Elincia: Elincia Ridell Crimea. I'm the sole survivor of the Crimean royal family.
Tomenami: Oh! You... Let us give thanks that you are alive and well! And please, I beg your understanding as well. There are many Daeins who do not support the king's actions.
Elincia: I understand.
Ike: ..." — Tomenami, Ike, and Elincia, Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance
- ↑ "Ike: There was no way we'd cut down innocent priests being forced to fight against their wills. And yet, we were not able to save everyone...
Official: Peace, my lord. We were expecting to be killed at once. Yet somehow you rescued so many of us...I'm sure that even our departed Bishop Tomenami is grateful for your aid." — Ike and an official, Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance
- ↑ "Ike: All right, we'd like to take a look around. Please show us each room.
Tomenami: Um...very well... Th-th-this...is...Er... A v-very large room... Um...
Ike: Are you all right? Why are you shaking like that?
Tomenami: Oh, Goddess... Please...forgive me...
Ike: It's a trap!
Schaeffer: Gahar har har har! You did it!
Tomenami: Please...forgive me..." — Ike, Tomenami, and Schaeffer, Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance
- ↑ "It is all the will of the goddess. Resign yourself to your fate... Accept it." — Tomenami, Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance
- ↑ Twilkitri, Index of /FE9, , Published: 2005-08-22, Retrieved: 2016-08-11
||This article is part of Project Characters, a project focused in writing articles for every character present in the Fire Emblem series.