|The Face Beneath
||How many years has it been since we last spoke? I'm so sorry... I should have come back for you sooner... I'm sure it wasn't pleasant living in House Bartels.
The Face Beneath (Japanese: 隠された素顔 Hidden Face) is a paralogue chapter in Fire Emblem: Three Houses. It is available from Chapter 15 to Chapter 16 /Chapter 19 /Chapter 17 and is unavailable on the Crimson Flower route. In order to attempt this paralogue, the player must have recruited Mercedes and Caspar and neither must have fallen in battle previously.
- Main article: The Face Beneath/Script
Caspar reports that Imperial forces have been spotted in the Sealed Forest led by the Death Knight, and an apprehensive Mercedes reveals that she has been thinking about her younger brother Emile. Byleth leads their forces into the forest to drive off the Death Knight. In the forest, Mercedes confronts the Death Knight and asks him to remove his helmet, believing that he is Emile. Imperial reinforcements arrive and order the Death Knight to help them fight Byleth's forces, but the Death Knight refuses, citing a lack of interest in fighting.
Byleth and their companions defeat the Imperial soldiers. Afterwards, Mercedes asks the Death Knight to join their cause, and the Death Knight asks Mercedes to leave Garreg Mach Monastery; neither sibling is willing to back down. The Death Knight gives Mercedes the Heroes' Relic of House Bartels, the Rafail Gem; if Caspar defeated him, he also gifts him his Scythe of Sariel. The Death Knight vows to kill Mercedes the next time they meet before departing. Mercedes blames his upbringing in House Bartels for his current psychotic nature and believes that there is still a kind man within him.
Whispers of Death Knight sightings in Garreg Mach excite Caspar, but Mercedes has a much more pensive reaction. Something must be on her mind...
Silver Snow Azure Moon Verdant Wind
- Other characters may be available if the paralogue is attempted later.
- Note: The following enemies' levels are those assuming the player plays this paralogue during Chapter 15. On Maddening, their levels are 3 higher starting from Chapter 16.
- Every non-monster enemy other than the Death Knight begins moving after any unit enters the central forested area.
- On turn 10, or upon any player unit other than Mercedes or Caspar ending their turn within three tiles of Mercedes or Caspar; on Maddening, these can move the turn they appear
- Stats with two figures separated by a ~ are presented as a range. The figures to the left of the ~ are taken during Chapter 15, the earliest possible point where this chapter may be undertaken; the figures to the right of the ~ are taken from Chapter 16, the point where this boss gains three levels and stops scaling.
- Main article: Death Knight
|This section details unofficial strategies that may help with completion of the chapter. This may not work for everybody.
Your first order of business is having Caspar take out the Death Knight so you can get his Scythe of Sariel for yourself. The most simple method is to give Caspar the biggest, nastiest axe you can afford, use the Smash combat art, and hope for a critical hit; Caspar has more than enough strength to one-shot him in this manner. Disregarding him, this battle is a fairly straightforward rout map. There's no need to rush, so pull each group in one at a time and overrun them before moving onward. The only thing to worry about is the reinforcements that rush Caspar and Mercedes on turn 10. If at all possible, try to reunite them with the rest of the army by then.
- The various spaces of "rock" terrain that can be seen on the map are actually the destroyed bodies of Golems.
- If zoom view is used to observe the northern cliff, one can find a rock bearing the Crest of Flames.
- This is the only chapter where, as an enemy, the Death Knight's level increases with the difficulty. In all other chapters, his stats increase with difficulty while his level remains the same.
Etymology and other languages
|Names, etymology and in other regions
||Definition, etymology and notes
||The Face Beneath
||Quand le masque tombe
||When the mask falls
||Das verborgene Antlitz
||The hidden Face
||Dietro la maschera
||Behind the mask
Entering the area outlined in red triggers the movement of every non-monster enemy.
A part of rock terrain that can be found on the map.