|“||...There isn't a one among you who does not doubt me, is there? Take a look at what the Cult did to me!
Do you truly think I would go back?!
(Japanese: ジーク Zeek) is a playable character and boss appearing in TearRingSaga: Yutona Heroes War Chronicles. He is a Dark Knight serving the Gerxel Cult, though he defects to Runan's army during Guenchaos's attack on the Temple of Mars.
Zeek, his sister Karla, and his other siblings and parents were originally well-off merchants. However, one day, his family was arrested by Reevan soldiers due to his mother being Zoan. Everyone in his family, aside from himself and his sister Karla, were executed. He and Karla were only spared due to their young age, and were instead made into slaves. Zeek endured slavery for a long twenty-five years before being liberated from his Reevan masters by the Gerxel Cult.
Zeek first appears accompanying Dagon's and Guenchaos's forces to the Temple of Mars. If Runan draws near, Zeek begins a conversation with Runan, claiming that he is a knight from Barge who had been enslaved by the Gerxel Cult when it was conquered five years ago; he wishes to join Runan's forces to fight the cult. Runan and Eugen allow him to accompany them. Zeek's claims of being a Barge soldier are lies, his true intent is to locate and spy on the Water Shaman.
Later, after the battle at the temple, Kate strikes up conversation with Zeek. She mentions that Raffin, another knight from Barge, was not familiar with Zeek. Zeek replies that he simply never met Raffin during his service, and is upset by the fact that the people in Runan's army do not trust him. As proof of his abuse from the Zoans, Zeek shows Kate the scars on his back from numerous lashings in a slave camp. He then tells Kate he began to serve as a Dark Knight to protect his family left behind in the camps.
Zeek accompanies Runan and Holmes's forces through several battles, becoming more and more attached to Kate as time passes. He also apparently stops sending his reports on the activities of the Water Shaman, causing his sister to approach him in person to check on him. Zeek reassures her he is still loyal to the Cult, and she tells him that Guenchaos has requested his return. Later, Runan and Eugen become concerned with Zeek's disappearance, with Runan finally putting his concerns about Zeek's reclusive behavior to voice. Kate believes that Zeek has been kidnapped by the Gerxel Cult, though Runan does not have the heart to tell her of his suspicions.
Zeek later appears to fight Holmes's forces, though he is defeated. Holmes, recognizing him as a deserter from his and Runan's troops, captures him. If Kate is in Holmes's party at this time, she frees Zeek. Otherwise, Karla appears and frees him. Either way, Holmes ends up very annoyed.
Kate later meets up with Zeek after following a group of Zoan Dark Soliders. Zeek is surprised, but happy, to see her. Kate tells him that he is free to return to Runan, and that they will keep him from being kidnapped. Before Zeek can say anything, Nevka appears and congratulates Zeek on capturing a hostage from the enemy army, and is amused that Kate thought Zeek wasn't with the Gerxel Cult. Nevka preemptively reminds Zeek that freeing an enemy hostage is treason.
Zeek makes his final appearance, and his last stand, to Runan's troops at the entrance of the Altar of Gods. He is killed by Runan's troops in the battle.
Starting stats and growth rates
Playable Boss, Map 31 Boss, Map 39
Zeek is a great unit all around, and one of if not the best characters in the game. However, despite his early join time he is not available to the player for the entirety of the game. For the time he is available he is an excellent unit with virtually no weaknesses, possessing excellent stats, growth rates, and a large pool of skills.
Some opt to not use Zeek due to his, quite good, stats carrying over to his first boss appearance. However, due to the presence of units such as Yoda, Shigen, and Vega, and the useful weapons like the Rukuud, Brave Sword, and Gattling Bow, defeating Zeek is not too difficult even if he has capped all his stats. For this reason, benching Zeek while he's avaliable is not recommended.
In his second appearance as a boss, Zeek's stats are fixed and do not carry over from his prior appearances.
Personality and character
Zeek holds a deep hatred of Reeve for its murder of his family and considers himself to be Zoan, like his mother. He believes that the Zoans and the Gerxel cult are only acting in self defense against their persecutors. His goal, one that is shared with his sister, is to make a world where the children of Zoans can live free of persecution.
During his time as a spy within Runan's group, he eventually falls in love with Kate and becomes more open with the others, though he ends up closing himself off again; he is willing to get along with others, but his loyalty to Zoa and his love of Kate are two things he cannot have at once. He eventually chooses Zoa over Kate, though he regrets this and asks Kate to think of him as nothing more than another soldier of the Gerxel Cult and to forget him.
|“||It's you lot... Sorry, but you have to die.||”|
— Zeek as an enemy during Map 32
|“||Kate... You would stand against me, too...?||”|
— Zeek as an enemy fighting Kate during Map 32
|“||Zeek: Is that you, Kate? I see you managed to escape...
Kate: Zeek...You betrayed me...! I will never forgive you!
Zeek: This was the only way it could end, Kate. Now, come! Let's finish this!
— Zeek as an enemy fighting Kate during Map 39
|“||Zeek: No... How could I...?
Karla: Zeek, what are you doing...? You cannot fall here when there's so much left to do!
— Zeek when defeated in Runan's or Holmes's army
|“||No... How could I...?||”|
— Zeek when defeated as an enemy during Map 5
|“||Urk... Damn... I let my guard down...||”|
— Zeek when defeated as an enemy during Map 32
|“||Forgive me... Karla, and Kate... I couldn't be the person that either of you wanted me to be....||”|
— Zeek when defeated as an enemy during Map 39
|“||Kate: Zeek... I have to know... Did you pretend to love me?
Zeek: Forget about me... Kate... I'm just a... Dark Knight of Gerxel... Nothing... more... That's all I... deserve to be... in your memories... I'm sorry... Kate...
Kate: No... Zeek...! You can't do this to me! Answer me, Zeek! Zeeeeek!
— Zeek as an enemy if killed by Kate during Map 39
Etymology and other languages
|Names, etymology and in other regions|
|Language||Name||Definition, etymology and notes|
|• Used in the TearRingSaga: Yutona Heroes War Chronicles fan translations.|
|Japanese||ジーク||Officially Romanized as Zeek.|
Artwork of Zeek originating from Shouzou Kaga's blog.
- "You and I were four and seven, and Reevan law prohibited the execution of children under thirteen... So we were thrown in the prison camps." — Karla talking to Zeek, TearRingSaga: Yutona Heroes War Chronicles
- "Karla: It was unforgivable, what they did to you. Looking at all the scars on your body, I still don't know how you managed to survive through all of that for twenty-five brutal years...
Zeek: It was my anger and my prayers to Gerxel that sustained me through it all. "I will have revenge on them." That thought alone kept me going." — conversation between Karla and Zeek, TearRingSaga: Yutona Heroes War Chronicles
- "You were too young to remember, but even successful merchants like our parents were subjected to wanton discrimination. Then, one day, Reevan soldiers invaded our home and arrested us... All seven of us were taken, just because our mother was a Zoan..." — Karla telling Zeek of the arrest of their family, TearRingSaga: Yutona Heroes War Chronicles
- "Raffin is a knight of the now-fallen Kingdom of Barge. His late father was a good friend of mine, so when Barge was conquered five years ago, Raffin came to me seeking asylum. Out of respect for his father, I decided to adopt Raffin as my son." — Marlon to Eugen, TearRingSaga: Yutona Heroes War Chronicles
- "Karla: I started to get worried when you stopped sending your regular reports, so I thought I'd pay you a visit. You haven't abandoned your mission, have you?
Zeek: Of course not... His Excellency has asked me to keep watch on the Shaman of Water, and that's what I've been doing. You should have more faith in me, Sis.
Karla: Whatever you say, Zeek... Regardless, His Excellency wanted me to tell you that your mission is complete. There are more pressing tasks for us ahead, and we need every one of our warriors.
Zeek: I... understand...As His Excellency commands." — conversation between Zeek and Karla, TearRingSaga: Yutona Heroes War Chronicles
- "Kate: Say, Zeek... Were you really a knight of Barge? Sir Raffin said he didn't recognize you...
Zeek: I never met Sir Raffin during my service, so that's not surprising. ...There isn't a one among you who does not doubt me, is there?" — conversation between Kate and Zeek, TearRingSaga: Yutona Heroes War Chronicles
- "Kate: Oh my goodness... I've never seen so many scars in my life... Are these... lashings...?
Zeek: That's right. Back when I was first captured by the Cult, I was taken to a work camp in the Zoa Valley." — conversation between Kate and Zeek, TearRingSaga: Yutona Heroes War Chronicles
- "The pain was nothing compared to what they did after that. I was forced to watch the brother I'd protected receive the exact same punishment.He died because of me. They brought my older sister in after that. I couldn't bear the screams anymore. I begged my torturers for forgiveness and swore eternal loyalty to Gerxel in order to protect them." — Zeek to Kate, TearRingSaga: Yutona Heroes War Chronicles
- "Well, thanks to Lady Kate, it seemed that Zeek was starting to become more open. He would talk with others, and he genuinely appeared to be enjoying himself. But several weeks ago, he started pushing everyone away again, even Lady Kate. I can't help but feel that this is related..." — Runan to Eugen, TearRingSaga: Yutona Heroes War Chronicles
- "Kate: It must've been the Cult of Gerxel! They've kidnapped him for deserting them! Please, Lord Runan!
We have to rescue him!
Runan: Lady Kate..." — Kate to Runan about Zeek, TearRingSaga: Yutona Heroes War Chronicles
- "Everything we've ever done has been for self-defense, for self-preservation! If they would only stop their mindless persecution of the Zoan people, I know that we could live together peacefully!" — Zeek to Kate, TearRingSaga: Yutona Heroes War Chronicles