|“||You were the one who gave us the courage to fight in the first place!||”|
— Seliph, on Shanan
(Japanese: シャナン Shanan) is the prince of Isaach, son of the late Prince Mariccle, a full-blooded descendant of the Crusader Od, and the heir to Isaach's divine blade Balmung. In his youth, on his father's orders he fled Isaach with his aunt Ayra to avoid capture by the Grannvale army during its war on Isaach; after being freed from the captivity of Kinbois of Verdane, he and Ayra sought refuge in the company of Sigurd of Chalphy, who protected them in spite of his country's war on their nation.
In Grann 760, Shanan was - along with Oifey - entrusted with the care of Seliph, Sigurd's infant son, in exile in Isaach in case Sigurd's attempts to clear his name failed; with Oifey and Adean, Shanan helped raise Seliph in the village of Tirnanog for the following 17 years and instructed him in swordplay, while working to raise support for a liberation army to combat the Grannvale occupation in Isaach. In Grann 777, Shanan fought with Seliph in the liberation war against Grannvale, after Seliph successfully freed Isaach in Shanan's absence. He succeeded Isaach's throne at the conclusion of the war.
- 1 Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War
- 2 Personality and character
- 3 Love growths and events
- 4 Endings
- 5 Quotes
- 6 Other appearances
- 7 Trivia
- 8 Etymology and other languages
- 9 Gallery
- 10 References
Ayra was forced to work as a mercenary at Genoa Castle for Kinbois for money to survive and by Shanan being held hostage. When Sigurd's army defeated Kinbois on their invasion to rescue Adean, they seized Genoa and freed Shanan from captivity, who informed them of Ayra's plight. With Shanan's support, Sigurd convinced Ayra to stand down, and the two joined Sigurd's army to help protect Shanan; Sigurd refused to turn Shanan in to the Grannvale authorities, seeing the war with Isaach as having nothing to do with the child.
Later, during Sigurd's occupation of Agustria, Sigurd entrusted his wife Deirdre and his newborn son Seliph to Shanan's care in Agusty Castle while Sigurd's army fought the forces of King Chagall. Partway through the conflict, Shanan reluctantly let Deirdre leave the castle to find Sigurd, whereupon she was abducted by Manfroy. Distraught by having let this happen to Deirdre, Shanan found Sigurd and told him of his failure.
In Grann 760, following Sigurd's recapture of Lubeck Castle en route back to Grannvale, Shanan overheard Sigurd's attempts to get Oifey to flee to Isaach to protect Seliph, and demanded to accompany Oifey, both to fulfill his promise to Deirdre to take care of Seliph, and to provide a better level of protection as Isaach's prince. Oifey and Sigurd agreed with the suggestion, and Shanan departed with Oifey, taking Seliph, Larcei, Ulster and Delmud.
At the time the Grannvale occupation learned of Tirnanog's status as the hiding place of Seliph, Shanan was out of Isaach, tracking rumors of the Balmung's location in the Yied Shrine. He successfully found the Balmung there, but it was instead stolen by Patty/Daisy, whom he pursued out of the Shrine with Loptyrian agents in pursuit. After revealing his true identity, she gave the sword to Shanan, who used it to assist Seliph in defeating the Loptyrian occupation and seizing the Yied Shrine.
Starting stats and growth rates
Personality and character
This section has been marked as a stub. Please help improve the page by adding information.
Love growths and events
- In Chapter 7, Shanan can talk to Patty/Daisy at any time, granting him the Balmung.
- In Chapter 7, Seliph can talk to Shanan at any time, granting Seliph +1 Skill.
- In Chapter 7, Larcei/Radney can talk to Shanan at any time, granting Larcei/Radney +2 Strength and 100 love points between the pair.
- In Chapter 10, Shanan can talk to Seliph at any time, rewarding Shanan with +3 maximum HP.
- In the Endgame, if the two are lovers, Patty/Daisy can talk to Shanan at any time, granting Shanan +3 maximum HP and +3 Speed.
- In the Endgame, if the two are lovers, Larcei/Radney can talk to Shanan at any time, granting Shanan +3 Strength.
Genealogy of the Holy War
The Kingdom of Isaach was quickly liberated from the Empire’s despotic reign, but during the successor to the throne’s absence, the people lived days of anxiety.
And so, with the victory of the Liberation War and Shanan’s return to the country, the people of Isaach rejoiced.
Succeeding to the throne, Shanan,
Together with, among others,
His sweetheart, [lover],
Devoted himself to the reconstruction of the country, and aimed at the construction of a wealthy country by improving cultural exchanges with the other countries.
Isaach was once called the Soil of the Eastern Barbarians, however, under the reign of King Shanan, it will have an unprecedented development, and before long, will give birth to one large, and powerful country that is not inferior to the other countries, if not surpassing them.
|“||Geh... Forgive me, Seliph...!||”|
— Shanan, in Genealogy of the Holy War.
Etymology and other languages
|Names, etymology and in other regions|
|Language||Name||Definition, etymology and notes|
|Shanan||Used in the Genealogy of the Holy War and Thracia 776 fan translations.|
|Japanese||シャナン||Officially romanized as Shanan. An alternative spelling of Shannon, an Irish unisex given name meaning "wise river", and also the name of the longest river in Ireland.|
Artwork of Shanan as an adult from Genealogy of the Holy War.
Shanan's portrait (first generation) in Genealogy of the Holy War.
Shanan's portrait (second generation) in Genealogy of the Holy War.
- "The only thing is that at this time, the only country who have not been under the influence of the gigantic country of Grannvale was the hostile (towards Grannvale) country of Verdane. Even if she escaped to one of the countries with peaceful relations with Grannvale, if their identity was revealed it was not impossible for them to be presented as prisoners (to Grannvale). So Ayra escapes to Verdane, but her long time wandering made it difficult to even get the meal for the day, so she had no choice but to work as a mercenary for Verdane. Ayra who held a brave yet pure heart lending a hand for Kinbois' atrocities had that kind of circumstance behind it." - Designers' notes from Treasure, as translated by Serenes Forest
|This article is part of Project Characters, a project focused in writing articles for every character present in the Fire Emblem series.|