|Warning: This wiki contains spoilers. Read at your own risk!|
Cross-Wiki Week 2023: From September 23 to October 1, make contributions to NIWA wikis that you normally don't edit for a chance to win a Nintendo eShop gift card! See here for more details.
Shadow Dragon (class)
Ever since his original reign of terror in the War of Liberation, Medeus had been widely known by the epithet "Shadow Dragon", reflecting both his tyranny as the Emperor of Dolhr and the sinister powers he commanded as an earth dragon. While he remained a proper earth dragon in his first resurrection in the War of Shadows in 597 AC, which was suggested by Malledus to be incomplete, when Gharnef hastened his second re-awakening eight years later with the life force of four pure-hearted maidens, Medeus was able to achieve the form of a true Shadow Dragon. As a Shadow Dragon, Medeus boasted power far beyond that of his original earth dragon form, but when Marth slew him in this form, Gotoh claimed his death was permanent.
As a class, Shadow Dragons were introduced in Book 2 of Mystery of the Emblem and are present only in it and its remake, New Mystery of the Emblem. The class is exclusive to Medeus. Like all other enemy dragons in these two games, the Shadow Dragon form is permanent and is not tied to a base Manakete form or a Dragonstone. In both games, its sole weapon is Dark Breath. In Mystery of the Emblem, Shadow Dragons are entirely immune to magical attacks, and halve attack power of any attacker.
|Mystery of the Emblem||52||20||--||0||0||0||15||15||5||--||Breath: 16|
|New Mystery of the Emblem||18||10||0||8||5||0||16||12||6||--||--|
|Mystery of the Emblem||52||20||--||20||20||20||20||20||12||--||Breath: 20|
|New Mystery of the Emblem||99||40||30||40||30||30||40||30||8||--||--|
|Mystery of the Emblem||0||--||--||--||--||--||--|
Class growth rates
|Mystery of the Emblem||50%||10%||--||10%||10%||0%||10%||10%||--||--||--||--|
|New Mystery of the Emblem||100%||75%||0%||75%||25%||0%||50%||20%||--||--||--||--|
In Mystery of the Emblem, the sole member of the Shadow Dragon class, Medeus, cannot be attacked with magical attacks. A unit who attempts this will do nothing at all, with the text claiming "their attack was sealed", and leave themselves open to be counterattacked by Medeus. This skill is not technically tied to the class.
Mystery of the Emblem
New Mystery of the Emblem
Notable enemy Shadow Dragons
|Medeus||Mystery of the Emblem Book 2, New Mystery of the Emblem, Tokyo Mirage Sessions ♯FE|
|M-DEUS||Tokyo Mirage Sessions ♯FE|
|Enemy Shadow Dragon (class) units in the Fire Emblem series.|
- In Mystery of the Emblem, the Shadow Dragon's moving map sprite, which can be seen briefly on the enemy phase if Medeus attacks or if the cursor is clicked over him, is much larger than its normal map sprite.
- In the Fire Emblem Trading Card Game, the Shadow Dragon is depicted as a serpent with pure red eyes despite having wings and yellow sclera in-game.
- Official artwork for the New Mystery of the Emblem website depicts Anri fighting Medeus as a Shadow Dragon, suggesting his second confrontation with Marth was not the first time he took the form of a Shadow Dragon.
- An unused item called the Shadowstone exists in Mystery of the Emblem's data, which transforms a manakete into a Shadow Dragon. Presumably, it would have been used by Medeus.
- Loptous's appearance in Genealogy of the Holy War greatly resembles a Shadow Dragon. Additionally, in the description of the Loptous tome on the Fire Emblem Museum official website, Loptous is referred to as a Shadow Dragon.
Etymology and other languages
|Names, etymology, and in other regions|
|Language||Name||Definition, etymology, and notes|
Officially romanized as Dark Dragon. Spelled in hiragana as あんこくりゅう in Mystery of the Emblem and partially in hiragana as あんこく竜 in Mystery of the Emblem's battle GUI.
Dragón de las Sombras
Dragon of Shadows
Dragon of shadow
- "Gotoh: However earth dragons boast tremendous life force, and cannot be completely eliminated so easily... Even now, they sleep at this altar.
Marth: You mean to say they'll awaken?!
Gotoh: Not exactly. Even sleeping earth dragons should not awaken for centuries or so. The next time Medeus awakens though, he will rise as a terrifying Shadow Dragon... No, wait...! Perhaps...? Yes, I see... So that's why Gharnef...
Marth: What's the matter, Lord Gotoh?
Gotoh: Prince Marth. I have finally realized the reason why Gharnef kidnapped the clerics. He intends to use them to resurrect Medeus. To hasten the awakening of a dragon requires the life force of pure, maiden women. Knowing this, Gharnef kidnapped them." — Gotoh and Marth, Fire Emblem: New Mystery of the Emblem
- "Marth, brave prince of Altea. Thanks to your valiant efforts, Shadow Dragon Medeus has been completely obliterated. Medeus's servants--the earth dragons-- have once again returned to darkness." — Gotoh, Fire Emblem: New Mystery of the Emblem
- "暗黒竜の闇の力により" — 宝物庫 (Treasure Vault), ファイアーエムブレムミュージアム (Fire Emblem Museum; archived by the Wayback Machine), Retrieved: February 13, 2018
|This article is part of Project Classes, a project focused in writing articles for every class present in the Fire Emblem series.|
|Classes in Fire Emblem: Mystery of the Emblem|
|Classes in Fire Emblem: New Mystery of the Emblem|