From Fire Emblem Wiki, your source on Fire Emblem Wiki information. By Fans, for Fans.
| Icon of the Pavise skill in Thracia 776.|
Halve sword/lance/axe/beaststone/blight damage. Trigger % = (Skill stat)
- This article is about the skill known as Cancel in Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance. For the skill known as Cancel in Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn, see Cancel.
Pavise (Japanese: 大盾 Great Shield), previously known as Great Shield and Cancel, is a combat skill debuting in Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War. In most appearances, when activated, it protects the user from a single attack by reducing or - prior to Awakening - completely nullifying the damage that would have been inflicted on them by that attack. The skill's activation rate has widely varied from game to game, as has its availability, but it is most commonly available to Generals and members of other advanced armored classes. Awakening and Fates have split its functionality in two and restrict Pavise to working only against physical attacks, while a new skill, Aegis, offers the same protection against magical and bow attacks; Echoes: Shadows of Valentia also splits its functionality with another skill, Earth's Kiss in this case, with Pavise reducing physical damage and Earth's Kiss applying to magical damage.
In Genealogy of the Holy War, Thracia 776, The Sacred Stones, Awakening, and Fates, Pavise is a class skill belonging to Generals and similar classes, and in Path of Radiance, Cancel is the mastery skill of the Hawk laguz. In Radiant Dawn, Pavise is a personal skill which can be equipped to any unit, while in Shadows of Valentia, it is an item skill associated with the Duma's Shield and Sage's Shield.
In the main Fire Emblem series
In other Fire Emblem series titles
|| Halves damage dealt by adjacent foes.
|| 200 SP
|| Cannot be inherited to ranged units.
|| May reduce damage dealt to user by swords, lances, and axes; chance increases with user's Luck.
Genealogy of the Holy War
The Sacred Stones
Path of Radiance
|| General (Learned from Level 15 and up)
Echoes: Shadows of Valentia
- Pavise has appeared in all eight games in the main Fire Emblem series to feature a defined skill system and, as the only defined skill to appear in The Sacred Stones that didn't debut in that game, is the only skill with this distinction.
- In The Sacred Stones, Great Shield will never activate if the enemy is attacking with a poison weapon (Toxin Lance, Poison Sword). This was implemented to prevent special effects conflicts with the purple glow used by poisoned units and the yellow glow produced by Great Shield.
Etymology and other languages
|Names, etymology and in other regions
|| Definition, etymology and notes
|| • Great Shield
| • This name is used only in The Sacred Stones.|
• This name is used only in Path of Radiance.
• A pavise is a long shield of Greco-Roman origin which covers the user's entire body. This name is used from Radiant Dawn onward.
| Big Shield
|| Used in the Thracia 776 fan translation patch.
|| • 大盾
| • Great Shield. This name is used in all appearances except Path of Radiance. Referred to as PAVIS in its internal file name in Radiant Dawn.|
• Romanized as WINGSHIELD in its internal file name in Path of Radiance; literally, "winged protection". This name is used only in Path of Radiance.
|| • Pavés
| • Pavise|
• Guard. This name is used only in Path of Radiance.
|| • Protection
| • Protection|
• Negation. This name is used only in Path of Radiance.
|| • Pavise
| • As above.|
• Cancellation. This name is used only in Path of Radiance.
|| • Ultradifesa
| • Ultra-defense|
• Revocation. This name is used only in Path of Radiance.