WARNING: CloudFlare data has possibly been compromised; we are advising all users to change their passwords. More information here.
Social media: Get in touch with Fire Emblem Wiki on ! Or, to join our Skype chat, contact any active admin and ask to be added.
NOTICE: If you borrow any content from Fire Emblem Wiki and reuse it elsewhere, you must credit us as the original source, under the terms of our licence. If you do not do so, we may ask you to remove the relevant content.
- This article is about the skill known as Cancel in Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance. For the skill known as Cancel in Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn, see Cancel.
Pavise (Japanese: 大盾 Great Shield), previously known as Great Shield and Cancel, is a combat skill debuting in Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War. In most appearances, when activated, it protects the user from a single attack by reducing or - prior to Awakening - completely nullifying the damage that would have been inflicted on them by that attack. The skill's activation rate has widely varied from game to game, as has its availability, but it is most commonly available to Generals and members of other advanced armored classes. Recent games have split its functionality in two and restrict Pavise to working only against physical attacks, while a new skill, Aegis, offers the same protection against magical and bow attacks.
In Genealogy of the Holy War, Thracia 776, The Sacred Stones, Awakening, and Fates, Pavise is a class skill belonging to Generals and similar classes, and in Path of Radiance, Cancel is the mastery skill of the Hawk laguz. In Radiant Dawn, Pavise is a personal skill which can be equipped to any unit.
|Genealogy of the Holy War||It nullifies damage dealt by the enemy.||(User's level)%||--||-|
|Thracia 776||It nullifies damage dealt by the enemy.||(User's level)%||--||--|
|The Sacred Stones||--||It nullifies damage dealt by the enemy.||(Enemy's level)%||--||--|
|Path of Radiance||It nullifies damage dealt by the enemy.||(Skill)%||20||--|
|Radiant Dawn||It nullifies damage dealt by the enemy.||(Skill)%||20||--|
|Awakening||It halves the damage dealt by enemy attacks using swords, lances, axes, Beaststones, Blighted Claws and Blighted Talons.||(Skill)%||--||Will not activate against a Dual Strike.|
|Fates||It halves the damage dealt by enemy attacks using swords, lances, axes, Beaststones, monster attacks, and automaton attacks.||(Skill)%||--||Will not activate against a Dual Strike.|
Genealogy of the Holy War
|Units (As a class skill)|| Hannibal|
After promotion: Arden
|Classes||General • Baron • Emperor|
|Units (As a personal skill)||Xavier|
The Sacred Stones
|Units (As a class skill)||After promotion: Amelia • Gilliam|
Path of Radiance
|Units (As a class skill)||Tibarn|
|Units||Arvis • Black Knight • Hardin • Hector • Raydrik • Zephiel|
|Classes||General (Learned at Level 15)|
|Classes||General (Learned from Level 15 and up)|
- Pavise is the only skill to appear in all seven games in the core Fire Emblem series that have a defined skill system.
- In Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones Great Shield will never activate if the enemy is attacking with a poison weapon (Toxin Lance, Poison Sword). This was implemented to prevent special effects conflicts with the purple glow used by poisoned units and the yellow glow produced by Great Shield.
Etymology and other languages
|Names, etymology and in other regions|
|Language||Name||Definition, etymology and notes|
|English|| • Great Shield
| • This name is used only in The Sacred Stones.|
• This name is used only in Path of Radiance.
• A pavise is a long shield of Greco-Roman origin which covers the user's entire body. This name is used from Radiant Dawn onward.
|Big Shield||Used in the Thracia 776 fan translation patch.|
|Japanese|| • 大盾
| • Great Shield. This name is used in all appearances except Path of Radiance. Referred to as PAVIS in its internal file name in Radiant Dawn.|
• Romanized as WINGSHIELD in its internal file name in Path of Radiance; literally, "winged protection". This name is used only in Path of Radiance.