Warning: This wiki contains spoilers. Read at your own risk!
|“||Show no mercy to these traitors to the kingdom!||”|
Lombard (Japanese: ランゴバルト Langobalt) was the Duke of Grannvale's House Dozel, a full-blooded descendant of the Crusader Neir and inheritor of the Helswath. Engaged in a longtime grudge against Chalphy's Duke Byron, he worked with Reptor of Friege in their plots to seize power of Grannvale for themselves, successfully framing Byron and his son Sigurd for crimes of conspiracy against the Grannvale crown.
At the onset of Grannvale's war with Isaach in Grann 757, Lombard remained behind in Grannvale instead of accompanying the army, and along with Reptor initiated the first rumors implicating the Chalphy family in conspiracy against the crown while Byron's son Sigurd was fighting in Agustria. At the war's conclusion, Lombard intercepted Prince Kurth and Byron on their return, assassinated Kurth and severely wounded Byron, successfully implicating Byron and Sigurd for the crime while avoiding placing any evidence linking himself or Reptor to it. Shortly afterward, along with Reptor he led an army to Agustria to capture Sigurd, following the latter's conquest of the country.
In Grann 760, around the time of the Silesse civil war in which Sigurd fought, Lombard and Andrey led an assault on Silesse to attempt again to capture Sigurd, seizing the south-eastern Lubeck Castle as a base of operations. Instead of dragging Silesse into war with Grannvale, Sigurd's army departed the country and directly assaulted Lubeck, resulting in Lombard's death in the ensuing battle.
Personality and character
Throughout his life, Lombard was strongly guided by his intense hatred of Byron, which led him to fear Byron's influence with Kurth becoming a threat to his power in Grannvale's political arena. As a result, he was easily manipulated by Arvis and Manfroy into executing their schemes to seize Grannvale for themselves. For all his susceptibility to his own passions, he was nonetheless cunning enough to successfully frame Byron for Kurth's assassination.
Lombard regularly expressed frustration at his sons, Danann and Lex, if they failed to meet his expectations, dismissing both as worthless. However, no matter how low he personally sunk, he still had what he viewed as standards: he considered Andrey's murder of his own father Ring and Andrey's subsequent attitude about it to be despicable.
|“||Gwahaha... weaklings. As long as I have my Helswath... No matter how many of you come, you'll all suffer the same fate! If you don't want to die, then stay away!||”|
— Lombard, in Chapter 5 of Genealogy of the Holy War.
|“||Gwahaha... the kid's made it. Hey, I'll send you to Byron! He must be getting lonely by now!||”|
— Lombard, when fighting Sigurd in Chapter 5 of Genealogy of the Holy War.
|“||You... Lex?! You traitor!! You're turning on your own father! Have you no shame!?||”|
— Lombard, when fighting Lex in Chapter 5 of Genealogy of the Holy War.
|“||No... I've been defeated...? Danann... it's up to you.||”|
— Lombard, in Chapter 5 of Genealogy of the Holy War.
Lombard was featured on one TCG card.
|Fire Emblem Trading Card Game data for Lombard|
|No image available.||Class: Baron||Level 1 Infantry||Direct Attack|
|Energy: 6||Atk.: 3 / Counter: 2||WLv.: A A ★ A|
|Equip: Steel Axe||Skills: Pavise|
|Card #087 • Rarity: ★ • Artist: Katsuyoshi Koya|
|Card scans and information translation provided by Aquantis.|
Fire Emblem Cipher
Lombard is currently featured on one card in Fire Emblem Cipher.
- The below card's epithet is still in raw, untranslated Japanese; it needs translation.
|Fire Emblem Cipher data for Lombard|
|"One worm or a hundred, it matters not how many of you come before me. So long as Helswath is mine, your fate will be the same. Turn tail at once if you wish to keep your heads!"|
|Attack: 60||Support: 10||Range: 1||Deploy Cost: 4|
|Class: Baron||Tier: Advanced||Class Change Cost: 3|
|Helswath, the Divine Axe: [Activate] [Once per turn]  Until the end of your opponent's next turn, this unit gains +20 attack, and acquires range 1-2.|
Armor Expertise: [Always] If this unit is being attacked by a non-, this unit gains +20 attack.
|Card #B19-092HN • Artist: Yoneko|
|Some card information translation provided by Serenes Forest.|
For more detailed strategic information on these cards, see their TCG wiki article on Lombard .
- According to Fire Emblem: Treasure, Lombard had two wives or lovers, and as such Danann and Lex are half-brothers. Additionally, he had a second child with Danann's mother, who presumably died before the events of Genealogy of the Holy War; on the family tree, their entry (defined as "unknown") is scratched out.
Etymology and other languages
|Names, etymology and in other regions|
|Language||Name||Definition, etymology and notes|
Used in the Choose Your Legends polls for Fire Emblem Heroes; has yet to be corroborated by other sources. From the Lombards, a Germanic people who settled in the Italian peninsula. The name of the tribe comes from Germanic, and means "long beard".
• Used in the old Genealogy of the Holy War fan translation.
Officially romanized as Langobalt. Romanized instead as Langobald in the Super Tactics Book. From the Latin name of the Lombards, Langobardi.
Artwork of Lombard from the Fire Emblem Trading Card Game.
Artwork of Lombard from Genealogy of the Holy War.
Lombard's portrait in Genealogy of the Holy War.
- "Filat: There's been some nasty rumours making the rounds in the Royal Court. It's going around that Prince Quan of Leonster, King Eldigan of Nordion, and yourself are conspiring against His Majesty. They say that explains why you're hiding the Prince of Isaach.
Sigurd: That's absurd! Who could've started such a story!?
Filat: Duke Reptor and Lord Lombard." — Filat and Sigurd, Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War
- "No offense, sir, but my father can't stand yours." — Lex, Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War
- "I believe they're put off by the way Prince Kurth goes to Lord Byron for everything. Once the prince ascends the throne, those two are sure to be ousted from their posts, and that has them worried." — Filat, Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War
- "You're too weak to admit our presence, and you let that greedy Reptor and Lombard run all over you! The original plan was to dispose of those two once they proved useless and work through their sons instead!" — Manfroy, Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War
- "Lombard, you are a cunning one. First he kills the prince... just about kills Byron too for putting up a fight. He's got some gall!" — Reptor, Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War
- "With that much power on his side, Danann has no excuse for taking so long to quell some little uprising in Isaach. Both my sons, Danann and Lex, are absolutely worthless." — Lombard, Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War
- "That contemptuous little brat. He shows absolutely no remorse for killing his own father. Lord Ring... may you rest in peace." — Lombard, Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War
- A family tree in Fire Emblem: Treasure (scan by Serenes Forest)
|This article is part of Project Characters, a project focused in writing articles for every character present in the Fire Emblem series.|