Social media: Get in touch with Fire Emblem Wiki on ! Or, to join our Skype chat, contact any active admin and ask to be added.
NOTICE: If you borrow any content from Fire Emblem Wiki and reuse it elsewhere, you must credit us as the original source, under the terms of our licence. If you do not do so, we may ask you to remove the relevant content.
Binding Blade (weapon)
The Binding Blade (Japanese: 封印の剣 Sword of Seal) is a regalia sword of Elibe which exclusively appears in Fire Emblem: The Binding Blade. It is one of two swords once wielded by Hartmut of Elibe's Eight Generals, along with Eckesachs; it is generally considered one of the legendary weapons of Elibe, but at the same time is considered to be separate from and even more powerful than the other weapons. It was famously wielded by General Roy of Pherae at the climax of the Disturbance of Bern.
The Binding Blade was forged in the Scouring for the purpose of fighting dragons, along with the other legendary weapons. Widely acknowledged by both humans and Jahn as being far stronger than the other legendary weapons, it exhibits a wide range of powers: it can generate fire for use in battle, can be used to heal its wielder, can vaguely convey the memories and feelings of its past wielders, and can increase the power of its bearer. Additionally, it reactsto the emotions of its wielder, changing its power and effect accordingly; in the final battle with the Demon Dragon Idenn at the Scouring's climax, it reacted to Hartmut's reluctance to kill Idenn and simply stunned her, and was later used in conjunction with the Fire Emblem to seal her away in the Shrine of Seals.
In the intervening millennium, the Binding Blade was left at the Shrine of Seals, sealed away and completely inaccessible without use of the Fire Emblem: to unlock it, the Fire Emblem must be inserted into a niche in the enshrined blade's pommel. Near the climax of the Disturbance of Bern, one thousand years after the Scouring's end, the Etrurian/Lycian army's General Roy used the Fire Emblem, provided to him by Bern's Princess Guinivere, to unseal the Binding Blade and adopt it for his own use in fighting King Zephiel and the Bern army. Following Zephiel's defeat, Roy used it to again fight Idenn, and with it defeated her while sparing her life, taking her to Arcadia in the hope of seeing her soul restored.
|Game||Icon||Rank||Might||Weight||Hit||Crit||Range||Uses||Worth||Exp||Other effects and notes|
|The Binding Blade||Prf*||18||8||95||10||1-2||20||Cannot be sold||1||+5 defense and resistance when equipped. Deals effective damage to Manaketes and Demon Dragons. Can be used as an item to heal 30 HP to the user.|
The Binding Blade
|Event||Chapter 21/21x, closing cutscene|
Super Smash Bros. series
Roy wields the Binding Blade in Super Smash Bros. Melee and Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS and Wii U. The sword is used in all of Roy's moves, save for his pummel and throws, to swipe or stab to attack. Although as a clone of Marth, Roy's use of the blade is derivative of Marth's use of Falchion, the Binding Blade has several unique traits in comparison: it has a sweet spot in the center of the blade, and blows Roy inflicts in close quarters with the blade's center deal greater damage and far greater knockback than attacks with the rest of the blade. In contrast, Marth's Falchion has its sweet spot at the very tip of the blade. Additionally, the Binding Blade's fire powers from its native game are used in several of Roy's moves, most notably his neutral special Flare Blade and up special Blazer. Unlike its original portrayal, Roy cannot heal himself with it.
Fire Emblem: Hasha no Tsurugi
In Fire Emblem: Hasha no Tsurugi's retelling of the final battle with Zephiel, Zephiel himself wields the Binding Blade along with Eckesachs. Al and Roy eventually succeed in seizing it away from him and using it against him.
TCG Fire Emblem 0 (Cipher)
The Binding Blade is present as a skill on two of Roy's cards in TCG Fire Emblem 0 (Cipher): S07-001ST Young Lion, Roy, and B05-001SR Heir of the Binding Flames, Roy. It gives Roy an effective bonus against dragons, adding +20 to his attack power when fighting dragon-type units.
- In Awakening, while the Binding Blade itself does not appear, Owain often uses its name as one of his many battle cries referencing earlier games in the series; when gaining weapon experience from an event tile or the barracks, he claims to be receiving his weapon experience boost from practicing the "Secret Art: BINDING BLADE!"
Artwork of the Binding Blade from The Binding Blade.
Etymology and other languages
|Names, etymology and in other regions|
|Language||Name||Definition, etymology and notes|
|English|| • Binding Blade
• Sword of Seals
| • As of Fire Emblem Heroes.|
• This name is used only in Super Smash Bros. Melee and Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS and Wii U. In the latter case, for some reason it is used despite the game it is named after being referred to as "The Binding Blade", even though both are translations of the exact same term. This may be an error, since Awakening referred to both the sword and the game by the same name.
| • Binding Blade
• Sword of Seals
| • Used in the 2013 revision of the Binding Blade fan translation; in gameplay, the name is contracted to Binding Bld to fit length constraints.|
• Used in earlier versions of the Binding Blade fan translation; in gameplay, the name was contracted to Sealed Sword to fit length constraints.
|Japanese||封印の剣||Officially romanized as Sword of Seal.|
|Spanish||• Espada de los Sellos||• Sword of the Seals; in Super Smash Bros. Melee and Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS and Wii U.|
|German||Bindende Klinge||Binding Blade; as of Fire Emblem Awakening.|
|Italian|| • Spada dei Sigilli
• Lama Vincolante
| • Sword of Seals; in Super Smash Bros. Melee.|
• Binding Blade; as of Fire Emblem Awakening.
|Russian||Меч Печатей||Sword of Seals. Used only in the Russian version of Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS and Wii U, as no Fire Emblem game has as yet been officially released in the region.|
- "Roy: Does that mean Eckesachs is the final legendary weapon? I thought it was the Binding Blade.
Elphin: ...The Binding Blade may be on an even higher level than the legendary weapons... It may be its own entity, beyond compare to even the legendary weapons...
Roy: More powerful than the legendary weapons...? What power lies in this sword?" - Roy and Elphin, Fire Emblem: The Binding Blade
- "...What... are these images...? Are they the Binding Blade's... No, Hartmut's memories...?" - Roy, Fire Emblem: The Binding Blade
- "Jahn: Knowing the demon dragon still had to be defeated, they readied their weapons. Idenn must have reacted to their attack out of instinct. It changed into dragon form and fought as the soulless war dragons do. Hartmut, however, brandished a blade even more powerful than the legendary weapons.
Roy: The Binding Blade!
Jahn: I don't know what you humans call it, but that must be it. When the blade cut the demon dragon's flesh, it fell unconscious rather than dying.
Roy: Why didn't it slay Idenn?
Jahn: The blade has a strange power that reflects the wielder's soul. Hartmut didn't want to kill her, so the Binding Blade reflected that feeling and spared her... He had apparently heard how the demon dragon was formed and felt pity for it. We dragons cannot understand that illogical feeling.
Roy: He pitied her...
Jahn: In his soul, he wished to spare Idenn. I personally would never hesitate to eliminate a threat as he did.
Roy: Hartmut's soul changed the sword itself...
Jahn: After persuading the others that it should be spared, Hartmut built a shrine hidden deep in what you now call Bern. There, he bound the demon dragon away using the blade and the Fire Emblem." - Jahn and Roy, Fire Emblem: The Binding Blade
- "Merlinus: ...I can't seem to draw it from the stone.
Roy: It's sealed in the altar. You must use the Fire Emblem.
Merlinus: Use it? How?
Roy: Princess Guinivere said that it goes in the socket on the hilt..." - Merlinus and Roy, Fire Emblem: The Binding Blade
- "Geheime Fähigkeit... BINDENDE KLINGE! Hiiiijaaa! ...Ja, die Extra-Übung hilft..." - Owain (German version), Fire Emblem Awakening
- "L'abilità segreta... LAMA VINCOLANTE! Oh, sì. L'allenamento extra fa effeto!" - Owain (Italian version), Fire Emblem Awakening
|Fire Emblem: The Binding Blade|