Social links: Get in touch with Fire Emblem Wiki on active admin and ask to be added.
Gerik (ジスト Xyst) is a mercenary in Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones. He is the leader of Gerik's Mercenaries, working out of a guild in Jehanna. His skill with the sword has earned him the title "Desert Tiger".
In Eirika's route, Gerik first appears in Chapter 10A. He, Innes and Tethys hide in a fort, evading Pablo and his forces. Innes suggests that Gerik and Tethys leave him, but Gerik refuses, intent on helping the prince. He can then be recruited either by Innes (recruited by Eirika) or by Tethys (recruited by Innes). After being recruited, Gerik can in turn recruit Tethys (if she has not already been) and his fellow mercenary, Marisa. Gerik's Mercenaries then accompany Eirika on the rest of her journey.
In Ephraim's route, Gerik first appears in Chapter 13B. He and Tethys appear together, searching for Ephraim, whom they have been sent to guard. Then, Myrrh, having just been liberated by Selena, approaches the pair. Gerik intimidates Myrrh, but Tethys calms her down, and asks where they can find Ephraim. Myrrh then points Ephraim out, and flies to him. During the battle, Gerik can be recruited by Marisa, and he apologizes to her for the guild's mistake in her assignment. After being recruited, Gerik can talk to Ephraim, delivering a message from Innes. Gerik and his mercenaries then accompany Ephraim on the rest of his journey, upon Innes's request.
Starting stats and growth rates
Promotion stat gains
Personality and character
Gerik is a calm, amiable leader who deeply cares the other fighters in his mercenary group and in the whole army. He is a very experienced fighter, and believes that a fighter's mind is his most important weapon. Although he accepts his life as a mercenary, he dislikes seeing his friends die, even though he knows it is a reality. His supports suggest that he had been much more reckless and hotheaded earlier in his life, but he states that he has grown calmer. Marisa describes him as being too nice to be a leader. Gerik is very comfortable with talking to others, and greatly believes in the people he befriends. Overall, he is a steady, friendly, and confident leader.
Known as the Desert Tiger, Gerik is the leader of a mercenary troop often referred to as "Gerik's Mercenaries". In his troop are his friends Tethys the dancer and Marisa the quiet myrmidon. He has had much experience as a mercenary, having fought against Ross's father Garcia and the Renais army. He himself states that he used to be very arrogant until one day, he foolishly challenged a knight whose strength far surpassed Gerik's and lost, giving him a scar on his face.
In a conversation with Innes, Gerik describes a close friend who became a mercenary. Because of this, Gerik became one as well, to watch over his friend. However, this friend got killed anyway. By then Gerik had made other friends and didn't want to see them die, so he has stayed in the mercenary life. Gerik and Saleh converse about a friend that Saleh had killed. Although Saleh feel deep regret, Gerik forgives him, accepting the fact that they became friends. This may or may not be the same friend as in Innes's conversation; it is not specified.
Gerik, the Desert Tiger
Gerik continued as a mercenary. Over the years, his reputation grew so great that he had more job offers than he could handle. One day, without warning, he left, never to return.
Gerik and Tethys
Gerik and Tethys remained bound to no nation and beholden to no authority. They bought themselves a leisurely retirement. Gerik taught fencing to city youths, and Tethys found many stages on which to dance.
Gerik and Marisa
Gerik remained a mercenary, and Marisa became his company's fencing instructor. Gerik returned the affection she gave him, although he was troubled to learn she was clumsy at everything but fighting.
Gerik and Joshua
After the war, Joshua challenged Gerik to a duel in hopes of pressing him to move to Jehanna. The match ended in a tie, but Gerik was impressed by Joshua's swagger. From that day forward, Gerik never left Joshua's side.
|“||If you live on the battlefield, you know this day will come...||”|
Etymology and other languages
|Names, etymology and in other regions|
|Language||Name||Definition, etymology and notes|
|English||Gerik||An Old German name meaning "spear ruler".|
|Japanese||ジスト||Officially romanized as Xyst.|
- "Ross: What should I do to be strong like you?
Gerik: That's a tough question... I would have to say that it's all in the mind.
Gerik: If your desire to win is stronger than your opponent's, you've already won. Your mind is your most important weapon." - Gerik and Ross's B support, Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones
- "Gerik: The thing is I can't stand to see my friends die. But if you're in this business long enough, people around you get killed. It happens. The only thing you can do is keep moving forward and try not to think about it." - Gerik and Innes's B support, Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones
- "Gerik: Ha ha ha. You're right. I was a lot calmer after that." - Gerik and Tethys's A support, Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones
- "Marisa: You're the chief. You don't have to apologize. Just give orders.
Gerik: Well, I know, but I was wrong. I was the bad guy. My crime was not being sensitive to your feelings. I tell you what, I'll buy you anything you want.
Marisa: You're soft. Leaders are normally harsher than you. You're too nice. Too nice to all of us. That's why..." - Gerik and Marisa's A support, Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones
- "Gerik: I was a mercenary hired by the other side. It was a fierce battle against Garcia's unit, and we ultimately had to retreat." - Gerik and Ross's A support, Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones
- "Gerik: This? I got this beauty when I had just started out as a mercenary. I was still a novice, but I was feeling pretty good about my swordsmanship. I got to a point where I was arrogant enough to believe no one could best me. Then one day it happened... It's something I've never been able to forget.
Tethys: What happened?
Gerik: It was just another battle. I'd been hired on as another sword and then I met him. He was a knight from some country or another. I had fought knights on several other occasions and had beaten them all. Even though he was a bit tougher, I was sure I'd defeat him in the end. That's what I thought. But... His strength was beyond me. I may as well have been using a broomstick to fight. I remember thinking, "What a tiny little world I've been living in." He crushed me effortlessly, and the wound he inflicted became this lovely scar." - Gerik and Tethys's A support, Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones
- "Gerik: Well, one day, he left for Jehanna. I didn't know what else to do, so I went with him and joined the guild, too. Stupid reason, isn't it? Anyway... I didn't particularly like fighting, and while I wasn't opposed to the money, I certainly wasn't in it for fame... I just couldn't let my friend go off and get killed.
Innes: And where is this friend now?
Gerik: He went off and got killed." - Gerik and Innes's B support, Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones
- "Gerik: So there was no reason for me to continue being a mercenary... But then there were other men who I considered to be my friends. I couldn't bring myself to abandon them... And so the years passed and here I am." - Gerik and Innes's B support, Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones
- "Saleh: Your friend, I...
Gerik: Don't say it, Saleh! That was an act of fate. Right? All you did was brush those sparks away from yourself.
Gerik: Listen, we're mercenaries. We end up working together with old foes, and crossing blades with former allies. It's just part of the job. My friend Zabba died by your act. That much is true. And at that moment, I could think of nothing but avenging him! But after that, you saved my life... We became friends. That's the truth of it, isn't it?" - Gerik and Saleh's A support, Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones
|This article is part of Project Characters, a project focused in writing articles for every character present in the Fire Emblem series.|